Skip to main content

Ctrl+F5 on Life

Sometimes I get so accustomed to being at a computer that I instinctively want to apply certain toolbar functions to my life--"Undo" comes up frequently, along with "Back," and oh the situations I could "Copy" and "Paste" at work to save myself time. But most recently I had a need to "Refresh."

I've been training at a pretty rigorous pace (for me) in the past few months, hoping to increase my strength and maintain my endurance before I begin my marathon training next month. While I was accomplishing these goals and feeling the results of my hard work, the unintended consequence was that I began to feel worn down before my real training even began. I dragged myself out of bed last Sunday to go for my weekly "long" run (which hasn't been very long lately), and I felt as though my legs were wrapped in weights. I just couldn't will my body to go any faster or any farther than six miles, which I struggled to complete. AND I felt the return of my once-nagging shin pain in one leg. This was particularly troubling as I had spent the majority of last summer's marathon training in great pain with shin splints, and I definitely did not want a repeat of that experience. Add to that the left-side piriformis pain that has been present since last summer, and a new, or possibly progressed, pain behind my right knee, and I knew it was time for a break.

So, in an attempt to "refresh" my body, since I couldn't just hold Ctrl+F5 on the keyboard, I decided to not run for a week. This was a poorly timed decision, as National Running Day, June 6, happened to be during this week, and I had signed up for a race this Friday, the Oldsmar 5k Beer Run. And as much as I struggled to not give in to these activities, I knew it was more important to stick to my plan of healing. And while a week of abstaining from running may not be a cure-all for everything that ails me, I'm at least giving my body a chance, a breather, a respite.

I've maintained a fairly low level of fitness this week, which is difficult to adjust to in a dietary and time sense. I had a little breakdown last night after deciding to not go to CrossBoot (which would have involved some running plus high-impact exercises). I even went so far in my head as to ask that existential question, "What is my life purpose??" And then I calmed down and practiced some of the Ashtanga Yoga Primary Series in my living room, which once came as easily to me as breathing, but last night I had to refer to my book to recall the sequence of poses. I felt better after this, less panicked, and a bit relieved to know that I could break my regular pattern of training and still be OK.

My hope is that, after this complete week of rest and focus-shifting, I'll be able to move "Forward."

Comments

People Liked to Read...

Surgery Chronicles: 12 Weeks and Progress

I'm now more than 12 weeks recovered from my second (and final!) foot surgery, and life is starting to feel a little more normal. When I l ast wrote an update , seven weeks ago (still blaming Irma for all of my delays), I had just gotten off of crutches but would wear my boot for two more weeks. I've been out of the boot and walking in shoes for just over five weeks. The constant discomfort I've felt in my foot from swelling is finally starting to wane. I work in the office now, I do my own groceries, and I even attended a work conference recently, which meant lots of walking at airports and the conference hotel, frequent standing, and few opportunities to elevate and ice. I was very concerned about how my feet, particularly the left one, would endure. And while it wasn't comfortable, I made it through, no worse for the wear in the end. I joined a new gym/community center recently, with a new and beautiful outdoor pool, and I'm so happy that I'm able to use

Play of Summer

Even though it is still technically spring time, the summer college semester begins in one week, the weather is consistently sunny and mid-80s, and baseball season is in full bloom. I embrace this time of year as a time to extend my outside activities beyond my nightly walks, to bike rides, benefit runs, beach days, and a newfound interest in softball. Yesterday Joe and I began the day with a 7:25am 5K run to benefit the Child Abuse Council . One of Tampa's largest and most regular 5Ks, the Gunn Allen Financial May Classic brought out over 1,500 of Tampa's athletes and do-gooders. Since it was a last-minute decision for us to register, we did not have a a chance to train, but we had both been keeping a somewhat regular exercise schedule in the weeks leading up to the run. Our goal was to finish, preferably to finish running. And we did. 36 minutes of concrete pounding, rhythmic breathing, and humanistic awareness, and we had completed our first 5K together, having run th

Surgery Chronicles: First Steps

This past week I took my first steps in a real shoe with my new foot. As with any first steps, I felt it worthy of recording: I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but my surprise, it felt perfectly fine—no pain. There were a few tears, though. I got rather emotional after so many weeks of anticipation, of protecting and worrying about my foot and wondering if I'd be able to use it again, even though I knew rationally that I would. It's very different to experience the act than to imagine it. Now it was real. Of course, I'd been walking in a boot for a few weeks, but it's just not the same. The boot intentionally keeps your foot from flexing and bending, so it's being cradled and coddled, which means you get used to walking without really using your foot. So in my first attempts at walking, I still wasn't really using my foot because that's what I'd gotten used to. Once I started walking around more, I realized I also wasn't stepping evenly