Skip to main content

A Happy Morning Run--Finally

Yesterday morning I did what I've attempted to do for the past couple of months of non-goal-oriented training: I woke up to my alarm, stayed up, and went out for my run on time. Part of what made this happen was that the local Tampa running group Run Tampa had a planned group run starting about two miles into my normal weekend route. To make it to the group run by 7:00 a.m., I knew I'd have to get up at 6:30 and be on my way around 6:40. And I made it! I was just in time for the pre-run gathering, which includes introductions, announcements from group leader Debbie Voiles, and a group photo. While the group plans an established run at one of four locations every weekend, I've only made two of them in the past couple of years! I guess I feel I don't really need the group, as I already have a group I run with, but I do like to have somewhere to plan to meet on the weekends when my group doesn't; accountability is key in getting me out and going. Here is a pic of from the morning's gathering at Patriot's Corner (Bayshore and Bay to Bay Blvds.):


(As I was writing this post, I learned that Debbie was quoted in the August issue of Runner's World!)

After the picture was taken, I ran by myself, as I don't really know anyone in the group except Debbie (who was on bike due to a knee injury), but I preferred to run solo anyway. I also saw Josh twice in passing, as expected (we don't usually plan our long runs together, as he runs faster than I do), and another friend from my main running group. While I often like to run solo, I still enjoy seeing friends in passing. It's motivating and a nice distraction during times when the run feels monotonous or when I'm struggling.

But during the run I didn't really struggle with much. I stayed at a slow and steady pace throughout the eight miles and used the 3-3 breathing technique mentioned in my previous post. Despite having taken four "muscle classes," as I like to call them, four days in a row this past week, I didn't feel too sore or heavy like I would expect to after that kind of work. I felt a slight tinge of pain in my left shin and noticed an on-and-off clicking in my left ankle (nothing painful), but other than that (and my usual left piriformis pain, although it affects me more afterward), I feel I'm in good shape to begin marathon training on Monday. (That is, after I choose a plan!)

After my successful run, I treated myself to my new favorite breakfast at Sophie's: oatmeal with raisins and peanut butter (and an iced coffee, not pictured, as I had already drunk half of it by the time my oatmeal arrived).


Okay, so it wasn't really a treat. I probably would have had the exact same breakfast whether I'd run or not. But I think it was even more enjoyable after having run. Adding a nut butter to my oatmeal is something I saw a friend do once, and although I thought it was bizarre, I tried it, and now I almost never have oatmeal without it (at home I prefer to use almond butter). 

Here's hoping my next post will include a marathon training plan!

Comments

People Liked to Read...

Play of Summer

Even though it is still technically spring time, the summer college semester begins in one week, the weather is consistently sunny and mid-80s, and baseball season is in full bloom. I embrace this time of year as a time to extend my outside activities beyond my nightly walks, to bike rides, benefit runs, beach days, and a newfound interest in softball. Yesterday Joe and I began the day with a 7:25am 5K run to benefit the Child Abuse Council . One of Tampa's largest and most regular 5Ks, the Gunn Allen Financial May Classic brought out over 1,500 of Tampa's athletes and do-gooders. Since it was a last-minute decision for us to register, we did not have a a chance to train, but we had both been keeping a somewhat regular exercise schedule in the weeks leading up to the run. Our goal was to finish, preferably to finish running. And we did. 36 minutes of concrete pounding, rhythmic breathing, and humanistic awareness, and we had completed our first 5K together, having run th

Surgery Chronicles: 12 Weeks and Progress

I'm now more than 12 weeks recovered from my second (and final!) foot surgery, and life is starting to feel a little more normal. When I l ast wrote an update , seven weeks ago (still blaming Irma for all of my delays), I had just gotten off of crutches but would wear my boot for two more weeks. I've been out of the boot and walking in shoes for just over five weeks. The constant discomfort I've felt in my foot from swelling is finally starting to wane. I work in the office now, I do my own groceries, and I even attended a work conference recently, which meant lots of walking at airports and the conference hotel, frequent standing, and few opportunities to elevate and ice. I was very concerned about how my feet, particularly the left one, would endure. And while it wasn't comfortable, I made it through, no worse for the wear in the end. I joined a new gym/community center recently, with a new and beautiful outdoor pool, and I'm so happy that I'm able to use

Surgery Chronicles: First Steps

This past week I took my first steps in a real shoe with my new foot. As with any first steps, I felt it worthy of recording: I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but my surprise, it felt perfectly fine—no pain. There were a few tears, though. I got rather emotional after so many weeks of anticipation, of protecting and worrying about my foot and wondering if I'd be able to use it again, even though I knew rationally that I would. It's very different to experience the act than to imagine it. Now it was real. Of course, I'd been walking in a boot for a few weeks, but it's just not the same. The boot intentionally keeps your foot from flexing and bending, so it's being cradled and coddled, which means you get used to walking without really using your foot. So in my first attempts at walking, I still wasn't really using my foot because that's what I'd gotten used to. Once I started walking around more, I realized I also wasn't stepping evenly