Skip to main content

MCM Training: Week 9: Crime and Punishment

I really need to get better about posting these closer to the week in which I actually completed the training. As I try to remember what I did last week, I'm confusing it with activities and feelings from the current week's training. But here's week 9, at a glance:

And since I actually took notes, I'm going to just use them in their raw form:

  • Monday a.m. run -- "hurricane," misty, windy, puddles (bike lane), good run. Monday p.m. -- yin yoga, ahhhh 
  • Tuesday a.m. -- slept in :/. Tuesday p.m. -- 100 burpees (13:29), CrossBoot meeting
  • Wednesday a.m. -- slept in :/. Wednesday p.m. -- CrossBoot! speed work, burpees, sprints, sprints, sprints
  • Thursday a.m. -- 4 miles, fast. Thursday p.m. -- 4 miles, faster! ab work
  • Friday p.m. -- CrossBoot! drain-ing. lots of reps w/ weights + speed drills. blue moon!
  • Saturday a.m. -- 15 miles, sloooww. a bit tired from CrossBoot, crampy, etc. need to start ice baths.
  • Sunday a.m. -- 12 miles bike, felt okay. a little hot, need to fix fit. Sunday p.m. -- yoga in park, a little tough, ashtanga-based
I clearly had trouble getting up to run earlier in the week (the crime), which led to feelings of shame later in the week, which led to two CrossBoot classes only a day apart (the punishment). And what's not listed here is that I did another class Monday. I went a little CrossBoot-crazy. But my Thursday runs were actually two of the fastest training runs yet, probably due in large part to the dreadful speedwork I did at CrossBoot Wednesday night.

Saturday's long run was just short of pathetic. I had stomach cramps of every variety, and I felt like I was dragging my legs. That was probably due in large part to the added CrossBoot class on the night before a long run--not really wise, but I knew that. The one highlight of this run, though, is that I began it while the blue moon was still highly visible:

I totally hijacked this picture from my dad, who took the picture and posted it on Facebook (thanks, Dad!).

On my Sunday morning bike ride on Davis Island, I decided to take a picture of my halfway point, since I actually had my phone with me (no more requests from strangers):

And later on Sunday, while riding my bike home after yoga in the park, I snapped this shot of the setting behind the University of Tampa:

I live and train in a beautiful place, and each week I'm very thankful for that. Now let's hope the beautiful scenery can inspire me through another 20-miler this weekend!


Great pix, Lee. Look forward to more.

People Liked to Read...

Surgery Chronicles: I Exhale

I've really been holding my breath with this recovery, more so than the last one for some reason. After getting past the three-week point (which was two weeks ago, when I started to write this), I felt a little more at ease. Since then I've been changing my own dressing daily and slowly weaning off of crutches so I can now walk around in the boot—hands-free! I'm still a slave to icing and elevating as much as possible throughout the day. But the very best part? There's no other foot left to do. After this, I'm done, done, done. I can start to return to a life not defined by sitting and waiting and feeling confined and limited and trying my hardest to heal but having little actual control over any of it.

I wrote in my last post about the difficult emotions I'd been having throughout this second surgery recovery. I think I underestimated the psychological toll I would take doing one foot right after the other. And while there was a feeling of elation after gettin…

Surgery Chronicles: 12 Weeks and Progress

I'm now more than 12 weeks recovered from my second (and final!) foot surgery, and life is starting to feel a little more normal. When I last wrote an update, seven weeks ago (still blaming Irma for all of my delays), I had just gotten off of crutches but would wear my boot for two more weeks. I've been out of the boot and walking in shoes for just over five weeks. The constant discomfort I've felt in my foot from swelling is finally starting to wane. I work in the office now, I do my own groceries, and I even attended a work conference recently, which meant lots of walking at airports and the conference hotel, frequent standing, and few opportunities to elevate and ice. I was very concerned about how my feet, particularly the left one, would endure. And while it wasn't comfortable, I made it through, no worse for the wear in the end.

I joined a new gym/community center recently, with a new and beautiful outdoor pool, and I'm so happy that I'm able to use it n…

Irma: A (Mostly) Photo Essay

For nearly three weeks I've struggled to find the right words to write about Hurricane Irma, which destroyed islands in the Caribbean, then hit South Florida, eventually coming up the center of the state. The Tampa Bay region got really lucky in the end, as it avoided a direct hit and the storm had diminished to a category 2 by the time it arrived. And now Puerto Rico is experiencing a humanitarian crisis after being pummeled by Hurricane Maria. My heart goes out to those people.

My plan when severe weather is forecast to for Tampa is always to go to my sister's house, as the area I live in is highly flood prone and she is on higher ground. This time was no exception; however, her plan was different. She wanted to leave, head north, get out of the state, and she wanted me to go with her and the rest of the family. But I was not in a place to pack up and leave. I had real concerns about my foot recovery; I was about eight weeks post-surgery and very newly out of the boot and in…