Skip to main content

In Training Mode--and a New Watch!

I'm in about my seventh week of marathon training for Steamtown Marathon (I didn't have an official start date--or plan--but started doing long runs some time back). Eleven more weeks of training remain. So far, so good. Yesterday morning I ran 15 miles with my friend and training buddy Nicole, and it was (for me) significantly better than last weekend's 12 miles. Part of this was because I'd just started to feel the effects of doing 13- and 14-milers for several weekends in a row without brining my mileage down, but what also helped yesterday's run was that I got to use my new GPS watch, and new running things always make a run better :)

Last weekend, while running the 12 brutal miles at Upper Tampa Bay Trail, my old trusty Garmin Forerunner 305 (now discontinued and significantly more expensive than when I bought it) gave out on me. It had been giving me problems since the Nike Women's Half, back in April, mostly not charging properly and taking an extraordinarily long time to locate satellites, but this was the first time it had actually died in the middle of a long run. Nicole was also having issues with her watch (of the same model) on this particular run, but hers simply wouldn't find those darn satellites. As happenstance would have it, Nicole's watch came alive right as mine went kaput--at mile 8--so, together we were able to record our run with moderate accuracy.


But that experience prompted me to go out later that day to find a new watch. I'd researched them a bit online in the weeks prior, knowing I'd have to come to terms with the new purchase sooner or later (I was hoping for later), so I pretty much knew what I wanted. The 305 had been a great watch for me. It was also my first running watch, so I suppose there is some nostalgia attached to it. But I didn't use many of the features available on the watch, so I was okay with a bit of a downgrade on the next watch. The Garmin Forerunner 210 (which sells for less than that link suggests) still has the features that are most important to me: display of distance, elapsed time, and average pace (which I can also change to current pace, but I don't like to go by that) and tracking of splits each mile. Plus, it's sleeker and lighter and a bit easier to navigate (also a result of having fewer features). One thing that is somewhat of a drawback is the smaller face and number display, but I guess that's what happens when you sacrifice space for design. But I'm really okay with it--I've received numerous inquiries over the years as to what exactly that thing--the 305--was on my wrist. I liked to tell people it was a teletransportation device. 

Also, with the 305, I could move the different display settings around and even choose whether I wanted one, two, three, or four functions to display. Of course, once I got the settings I liked most (which are also available on the new one), I never changed them. So I think I'll get used to this one pretty quickly. 


Yesterday's run was slower, but that was intentional. We'd been running our long runs at a pace not much slower than our shorter training runs, which is not only unnecessary but a good way to burn out early in training. It's difficult to go into a double-digit pace when I've worked so hard to stay in the 9s, 8s, and even 7s in my races this past season, but I also know it is necessary. My goal for this marathon is not to finish with a stellar time, but to get through training injury-free and run a solid, consistent race. So far, I'm on target for that goal. Now if only I could get some hill training in for what will be a vastly different landscape from my flat Florida training grounds...

Comments

Unknown said…
Hi Lee! Glad to have stumbled upon your blog! I was wondering if you feature guest postings. Thanks and have a great day!
B.o.B. said…
OH I like the new watch. You'll have to tell me about it. I got mine all set up for splits, finally. BTW, miss you! You running with the Blue Sharks this weekend?
Lee Davidson said…
Miss you, too, Beth! Love the watch so far. Not doing Sharks this weekend--will be in Ohio. Hope to see you soon, though!

People Liked to Read...

Surgery Chronicles: 12 Weeks and Progress

I'm now more than 12 weeks recovered from my second (and final!) foot surgery, and life is starting to feel a little more normal. When I l ast wrote an update , seven weeks ago (still blaming Irma for all of my delays), I had just gotten off of crutches but would wear my boot for two more weeks. I've been out of the boot and walking in shoes for just over five weeks. The constant discomfort I've felt in my foot from swelling is finally starting to wane. I work in the office now, I do my own groceries, and I even attended a work conference recently, which meant lots of walking at airports and the conference hotel, frequent standing, and few opportunities to elevate and ice. I was very concerned about how my feet, particularly the left one, would endure. And while it wasn't comfortable, I made it through, no worse for the wear in the end. I joined a new gym/community center recently, with a new and beautiful outdoor pool, and I'm so happy that I'm able to use

Play of Summer

Even though it is still technically spring time, the summer college semester begins in one week, the weather is consistently sunny and mid-80s, and baseball season is in full bloom. I embrace this time of year as a time to extend my outside activities beyond my nightly walks, to bike rides, benefit runs, beach days, and a newfound interest in softball. Yesterday Joe and I began the day with a 7:25am 5K run to benefit the Child Abuse Council . One of Tampa's largest and most regular 5Ks, the Gunn Allen Financial May Classic brought out over 1,500 of Tampa's athletes and do-gooders. Since it was a last-minute decision for us to register, we did not have a a chance to train, but we had both been keeping a somewhat regular exercise schedule in the weeks leading up to the run. Our goal was to finish, preferably to finish running. And we did. 36 minutes of concrete pounding, rhythmic breathing, and humanistic awareness, and we had completed our first 5K together, having run th

Surgery Chronicles: First Steps

This past week I took my first steps in a real shoe with my new foot. As with any first steps, I felt it worthy of recording: I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but my surprise, it felt perfectly fine—no pain. There were a few tears, though. I got rather emotional after so many weeks of anticipation, of protecting and worrying about my foot and wondering if I'd be able to use it again, even though I knew rationally that I would. It's very different to experience the act than to imagine it. Now it was real. Of course, I'd been walking in a boot for a few weeks, but it's just not the same. The boot intentionally keeps your foot from flexing and bending, so it's being cradled and coddled, which means you get used to walking without really using your foot. So in my first attempts at walking, I still wasn't really using my foot because that's what I'd gotten used to. Once I started walking around more, I realized I also wasn't stepping evenly