Skip to main content

MCM Training: Week 6: Habit

Last week's training was an odd mix of new habits, a now old injury, and, ultimately, success.

I started off the week with an early-morning run on Monday. This was a feat in itself, as I don't believe I've ever gotten up specifically to run, before work, on a Monday. But I'm trying something new. I've learned, much to my amazement, that I run better in the mornings. And it's cooler outside. And I have more time in my evenings. Except that, if I want to make this a regular habit, I have to go to bed around 10pm, which is another new thing. But I'm liking my new early-to-rise, early-to-bed routine. I feel like a more successful, more grown-up human being.

But the effort of getting up early on Monday was apparently too much to carry into an early run Tuesday, so I had to do my "medium" run (8 miles) in the evening. Even after waiting until 7:30pm to start, the heat of the day was still lingering in the air, so I really had to push myself through the run and drink a lot of water, which always makes me feel more sluggish. This reaffirmed my decision to move to early-morning runs as much as possible.

Also on Tuesday, I woke up with what I believe is a pinched nerve near my left scapula. This is about the fourth time it's happened this year, and it only happens in my sleep. The first time it happened, I couldn't move my head without feeling pain in my neck/shoulder/back region, and I went to daily chiropractic appointments for a week to help heal it. I'm not entirely sure those treatments worked, as the next couple of times it happened I just took it easy for a week, and the pain mostly subsided. And I've learned that running doesn't seem to affect the problem; in fact, I feel it helps a bit, perhaps because it warms the muscles. But I'm still hesitant to do any kind of weight training, so I opted to skip CrossBoot Wednesday night and instead went for a bike ride. That may not have been the best idea, because afterward I was in some pain, probably from my posture on the bike, which I'm still not sure is right.

Thursday's run was supposed to be 4 miles, but because I had a long, exhausting day, I only managed 2 in the evening. Such is life sometimes.

By Friday, I was feeling better, so I did some light weight-training at the gym right after work. I wanted to get some in for the week, but I didn't want to do so much that I'd be hurting on my long run the next morning.

Which brings me to my long run. I think I had a lot, mentally, riding on this run. I hadn't completed my long run in the previous week, and that made me nervous for the next one. I was afraid I might start failing at all of them and perhaps not be able to do my training, and consequently not be able to do the marathon. Those are the thoughts I need to learn to quiet. Because I did my long run--all 17 miles of it. Granted, I woke up 1.5 hours later than I'd wanted to, even after setting the four inspirational (?) alarms:

I suppose the fact that I was just going to bed at 11:59pm did not bode well for an early rise. So with a 6:30am start, and counting several breaks for water/stretching, I was pretty much out running until close to 10am. I managed to avoid much of the sun that was out for most of my run by running south on Bayshore toward the air force base and staying out there for the majority of my miles. Just past Gandy (where Bayshore becomes Interbay), the shade starts, and it lasts mostly up to the base, and then right at the base there is a paved trail about 1.5 miles long. I circled this several times, as it was largely shaded, too. This left me with only 5 miles to run back to my finishing spot, only about 3 of which were on the exposed (to the sun) part of Bayshore. But those were some HOT miles. Hot enough to motivate me to get up on time next time--I hope.
After my run, I made a protein drink for improved recovery. This is also a new habit I'm trying to incorporate after long or hard workouts. I've actually wanted to do it for a while, but I couldn't find a product I really wanted to use, as most of the protein powders out there contain soy or whey, which I try to avoid because of sensitivities. But I upon reading a blog post from Matt of No Meat Athlete, I found what I'd been not very actively looking for:

Basically a vegan, no-known-allergen formula. I'm not truly a vegan, but I lean vegan, I guess I would say. It was not bad, considering the ingredients and the vanilla flavor together. I added almond milk, ice, and honey--just in case. I don't think I have the right ratio down for a "smoothie" texture yet, but hopefully I'll get there.

I ended my week with another 12-mile bike ride and then a 2-hour Yoga for Runners workshop, which was just what I needed! My long-run recover was one of the best I've had, so I hope to keep a similar routine in the future, although I may also be adding ice baths--yikes!

The following week's training (already in progress) has so far included speed work--much to my chagrin--more early rises, and will soon include a new core yoga class and the inevitable long run--this time 18 miles. Stay tuned to read all about it!


People Liked to Read...

Surgery Chronicles: Start Here

I alluded in my last post to upcoming foot surgeries I'd soon be posting about. I'm now 19 days away from the first one, and my thoughts pretty constantly revolve around how my life will change after that when I wake up from my "twilight" sleep after the first operation. In my best frame of mind, the scenario is like this: I'll spend a few weeks out of commission, getting some forced rest, spend a few weeks in a boot, limited exercise, and my right foot will be recovered. Then I repeat on the left foot and by fall I'm back on my feet again. That's the Twitter version. But the version that most often plays out in my head is more like a volume of books, with the details of every day painstakingly planned, agonized over, and wondered about. How will I make food? Bathe? Focus on work? Get the mail, take out the trash, do laundry? Will I be in a lot of pain? Will I go crazy during my long days isolated at home? Will people forget about me? Will I get the resul…

Surgery Chronicles: Two Weeks Down

At the end of week two, I'm home on my own and feeling pretty good. But it definitely feels like time has moved slowly. Hopefully the coming weeks will go by a little faster, now that I'm set up for a routine and able to do more for myself.
First Follow-up I had my first follow-up appointment last week, which I'd been looking forward to pretty much since the day after surgery. Possibly because I was anticipating it so much, it felt like it would never come. But it did, and it went very well. I got my bulky dressing and "upper foot" cast off, and I finally saw my new foot! Of course, it wasn't beautiful; it was still tinted orange from the betadine used in surgery prep, it was swollen and a little bruised, and my incision was still healing and had strips of medical tape running along it (I'll save a barefoot photo for a later post). But my bunion was gone and my toe was aligned! That was the goal, and it was achieved.

The doctor said it only looked like I …

2017 and Beyond

If this sounds like a very late new year resolutions post, that's because it is. I never quite finished expounding on my goals for the year, but I wrote 10 things down, so I figure it's worth posting. Plus, I'm going to have lots of cause to post more in the coming months, as I (plan to) chronicle my upcoming foot surgeries, so I may as well resurrect the blog now.
I started out last year's resolutions post saying, "This past year was one of the most challenging years of my life." But 2016 has proven to be a hearty rival. The year was heavily mixed with positive and negative events, emotions all over the place. The good: I ran again, I swam, I came back to yoga, I wrote a lot (just not here), I blossomed at work, I loved my family hard. The bad: I injured myself again and couldn't run, I gave up on biking (but later picked it back up), I floundered trying to find purpose, I distanced myself from friends, and I nearly drowned in my anxiety. But I tried, in…