Skip to main content

MCM Training: Week 8: A Hurricane, a Dolphin, and a Rest

This past week was mostly a lesson in rest and trying to better schedule it in so I don't just shut down when I need to be performing.

I did manage to get my mileage in, but I fell asleep before CrossBoot Wednesday, so that ended up being a rest day. I also didn't get any biking in, because again, I just felt like sleeping in Sunday morning, but that's okay. I'm trying to remember what's important here, and I think completing the mileage is at the top of the list.

On my 12-mile run, which I was looking forward to mostly because it was a shorter long run, I ended up with a slower average pace than I had during my 20-miler! But that was partly because I was still coming off of that 20-miler and partly because I was running in the beginnings of Tropical Storm Isaac, which later became a hurricane. I welcomed the cooler, cloudy weather, especially when the gusts of wind were pushing me from behind, but once I turned around to head home, that wind was no longer my friend. But I will say that it made me push, because you just can't run lazily against the wind.

And almost as a reward (and a welcome reason to stop), at the end of the run, I was very fortunate to see a dolphin playing extremely close to the bay wall:

And as I don't carry my phone with me on my runs, I did the unthinkable and asked a stranger if she wouldn't mind emailing me the picture she took with her phone. In retrospect, I was appalled at myself for asking, but she was very kind about it, and now I have this wonderful memory captured in a picture! (Thank you, again!)

Later on, I had plans to meet Josh for lunch, and he told me he had to stop at the running store--Feet First--and I jumped at the chance to meet him there beforehand. I was out of energy gels, and I wanted to try a few different kinds. I've typically been a GU girl, but lately I've found them too thick and hard to swallow. I picked up two of my favorite flavors, for when I want something tried and true, and then I got three new brands, all of which seemed to have thinner formulas: PowerBar, Carb BOOM!, and Accel Gel. I have high hopes for the Carb BOOM! gel, as it's made mostly of fruit. But that could also have a negative affect on my stomach. Reviews to come.

I have a 15-miler to complete this weekend, with no hurricanes or tropical storms on the horizon. Hopefully we'll still have some of the cloud coverage that has made the past two weekends' long runs more tolerable. Here's hoping!


People Liked to Read...

Surgery Chronicles: Hard Feelings

I'm one and a half weeks out from my second foot surgery, and, by all important measures, I'm doing well. But boy has the past week been difficult. In the first few days post-surgery I was in a pretty good mood; the surgery had gone well, I was in the excellent care of my mom, and I had made it past the last major hurdle of this months-long event. All I had to look forward to was recovery and progress and gradually returning to my normal life, whatever that might look like.

But even though I've gone through this process once already, it's still just as difficult this time around. There's the constant worrying about this weird feeling or that new pain, the accidental step in the middle of the night when I forgot which foot was injured, and the agonizing wait time between appointments. Now it's compounded by concern over whether I'm taking good enough care of my first foot. Did I ruin the surgery when I stubbed my toe falling off an exercise ball? Am I using …

Surgery Chronicles: I Exhale

I've really been holding my breath with this recovery, more so than the last one for some reason. After getting past the three-week point (which was two weeks ago, when I started to write this), I felt a little more at ease. Since then I've been changing my own dressing daily and slowly weaning off of crutches so I can now walk around in the boot—hands-free! I'm still a slave to icing and elevating as much as possible throughout the day. But the very best part? There's no other foot left to do. After this, I'm done, done, done. I can start to return to a life not defined by sitting and waiting and feeling confined and limited and trying my hardest to heal but having little actual control over any of it.

I wrote in my last post about the difficult emotions I'd been having throughout this second surgery recovery. I think I underestimated the psychological toll I would take doing one foot right after the other. And while there was a feeling of elation after gettin…

Surgery Chronicles: 12 Weeks and Progress

I'm now more than 12 weeks recovered from my second (and final!) foot surgery, and life is starting to feel a little more normal. When I last wrote an update, seven weeks ago (still blaming Irma for all of my delays), I had just gotten off of crutches but would wear my boot for two more weeks. I've been out of the boot and walking in shoes for just over five weeks. The constant discomfort I've felt in my foot from swelling is finally starting to wane. I work in the office now, I do my own groceries, and I even attended a work conference recently, which meant lots of walking at airports and the conference hotel, frequent standing, and few opportunities to elevate and ice. I was very concerned about how my feet, particularly the left one, would endure. And while it wasn't comfortable, I made it through, no worse for the wear in the end.

I joined a new gym/community center recently, with a new and beautiful outdoor pool, and I'm so happy that I'm able to use it n…