Skip to main content

MCM Training: Week 13 plus Diagnosis and Treatment

Week 13
This past week was my first full training week without running (mostly) or CrossBoot. It was definitely challenging to find activities that could replicate the levels of intensity I achieved in those two things. I had one bad and one good experience on the bike, and I did a lot of yoga.


I also did a couple of things that I should have known better than to do. For example, on Saturday afternoon, I attended a lindy-in-the-park event, put on by a group of swing dancers who have recently begun organizing new events. (As a side note, I originally moved to Tampa because of swing dancing, and I used to be heavily involved in it; but as the local dance scene changed, my interest began to wane.) I haven't danced in over a year, and I was excited enough to want to go and see some old friends and try my dance legs out. But dancing on concrete in rubber-soled shoes was just about the last thing I should have done. Swing dancing--lindy hop, specifically--can involve a lot of jumping and spinning and general use of the lower legs. After just two dances, I felt the pain in my leg and decided to stop. It was fun while it lasted.

On Sunday, I met my friend Shannon in Palm Harbor to go stand-up-paddleboarding. I've gone a couple of times with her, and I really enjoy it. However, because of the pain I'd caused the day before, my leg was not feeling great throughout the two hours we were on the water. I don't think that activity aggravated it necessarily, but my leg probably just wanted to rest, and I wasn't letting it. Nevertheless, it was a beautiful day for being out on the water, and the activity itself was simultaneously active and soothing.

Diagnosis and Treatment
This morning I had my appointment with a medical professional about my leg. I met with Larry Collins, who is a Physician's Assistant, Assistant Professor of Orthopedics and Sports Medicine, and a Certified Personal Trainer. I remembered him from my first major training injury over two years ago, and I knew he also taught a spin class at the Campus Rec Center. So I knew he was knowledgeable and experienced, and I recalled that he was a concerned and compassionate practitioner. These things were all very important to me.

I came prepared with my training schedule that included the days leading up to the injury, during, and after, which he was glad to look at and evaluate with me.


After discussing my training, my injury, and doing some movement tests with me, he determined that the injury is most-likely a strained soleus muscle--which further means, my self-diagnosis was right!! (I love being right--sometimes to a fault.)


What's less is exciting is that this still means weeks of recovery. How many weeks is hard to say. He seemed to think I'd be able to run the marathon, but he said I may not be able to PR like I'd originally planned, but I'd given up hope for that already anyway. His confidence gave me more confidence. In addition to the modified training I'm already doing, he prescribed some physical therapy appointments. I'm going to try my first one tomorrow and see if it's something that might benefit me more than what I'm able to do on my own. He also said to slowly work in CrossBoot and maybe some running, after properly warming up my legs, and if I start to feel the pain come on, then to quit and stretch, ice, rest.

He alleviated my concern about losing the running-fitness I've built up by telling me that most of the hard work has already been done, and as long as I'm maintaining a high level of fitness, my body knows it can do it, essentially. Plus, the fact that I've completed a marathon before makes me psychologically prepared. He emphasized that resting before a big race is much more important than trying to squeeze in more training, and even went on to say that many athletes don't perform their best because they over-train and don't get enough rest before their race.

When I asked him if cycling was an appropriate training exercise for my injury, he said that it was, as long as it wan't causing pain, but that clip-pedals (and clip-in shoes) would be a lot better than the simple cages I currently have on my pedals. He suggested that I try to borrow someone's pedals and shoes, if possible. So I might start asking around . . . ;-D

Here's hoping this next week brings a little less pain and a lot more healing!

Comments

I'm so glad you got good news. I'll be crossing my fingers for a speedy recovery!
Lee Davidson said…
Thank you! I'll take crossed fingers (one hand only, though) and well wishes of all sorts ;)
Beka said…
Good luck and I hope you have a speedy recovery as well! Spin and yoga are definitely my go to exercise while in PT, too :)

People Liked to Read...

Surgery Chronicles: 12 Weeks and Progress

I'm now more than 12 weeks recovered from my second (and final!) foot surgery, and life is starting to feel a little more normal. When I l ast wrote an update , seven weeks ago (still blaming Irma for all of my delays), I had just gotten off of crutches but would wear my boot for two more weeks. I've been out of the boot and walking in shoes for just over five weeks. The constant discomfort I've felt in my foot from swelling is finally starting to wane. I work in the office now, I do my own groceries, and I even attended a work conference recently, which meant lots of walking at airports and the conference hotel, frequent standing, and few opportunities to elevate and ice. I was very concerned about how my feet, particularly the left one, would endure. And while it wasn't comfortable, I made it through, no worse for the wear in the end. I joined a new gym/community center recently, with a new and beautiful outdoor pool, and I'm so happy that I'm able to use

Play of Summer

Even though it is still technically spring time, the summer college semester begins in one week, the weather is consistently sunny and mid-80s, and baseball season is in full bloom. I embrace this time of year as a time to extend my outside activities beyond my nightly walks, to bike rides, benefit runs, beach days, and a newfound interest in softball. Yesterday Joe and I began the day with a 7:25am 5K run to benefit the Child Abuse Council . One of Tampa's largest and most regular 5Ks, the Gunn Allen Financial May Classic brought out over 1,500 of Tampa's athletes and do-gooders. Since it was a last-minute decision for us to register, we did not have a a chance to train, but we had both been keeping a somewhat regular exercise schedule in the weeks leading up to the run. Our goal was to finish, preferably to finish running. And we did. 36 minutes of concrete pounding, rhythmic breathing, and humanistic awareness, and we had completed our first 5K together, having run th

Surgery Chronicles: First Steps

This past week I took my first steps in a real shoe with my new foot. As with any first steps, I felt it worthy of recording: I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but my surprise, it felt perfectly fine—no pain. There were a few tears, though. I got rather emotional after so many weeks of anticipation, of protecting and worrying about my foot and wondering if I'd be able to use it again, even though I knew rationally that I would. It's very different to experience the act than to imagine it. Now it was real. Of course, I'd been walking in a boot for a few weeks, but it's just not the same. The boot intentionally keeps your foot from flexing and bending, so it's being cradled and coddled, which means you get used to walking without really using your foot. So in my first attempts at walking, I still wasn't really using my foot because that's what I'd gotten used to. Once I started walking around more, I realized I also wasn't stepping evenly