Skip to main content

A Slow Return

This morning I ran four miles at about a 10:30 pace. It was not easy, and I did feel some residual pain (not from the calf injury, but from shin splints), but it's four miles I couldn't run a month ago. I'm grateful for that.

I actually started back running several weeks ago, after a nine-week break, and I had about three successful four-to-five-mile runs, and then on my next run I felt pain in my left leg and thought it was my calf injury letting me know it was still there. I was pretty disappointed about that, but then when I was telling a friend about the pain, and how it was a little different than what I'd experienced before, he said it sounded like shin splints. Now, I'm no stranger to shin splints, as I'd trained through them for the Chicago Marathon, but it simply hadn't occurred to me that I was feeling something new; my mind just went straight the injury. And because the soleus muscle (which I'd injured) is really close to the tendon where shin splints are felt, and it was only in my injured leg, I just assumed it was the soleus again. So I rejoiced in discovering that I actually had shin-splints instead of a recurrence of my injury. Then I remembered how awful that pain was, even if it wasn't as dangerous as the calf injury. So I've basically still been taking things easy lately, able to run a little, but not willing to push too much because of the pain. And I know I've lost a good amount of strength--one day of weight training at the gym verified that.

The past month or so has also been difficult physically for several reasons. First, I was still struggling to come back to running; second, I had a sinus cold that took several weeks to go away, preventing me from even doing yoga (because lying down made the mucus drip down my throat, causing me to cough violently--TMI?); and third, I had bruised my ribs on a trail riding adventure. So I did a lot of walking when I could, and when I couldn't, I allowed myself to rest. Resting was something that took all of my time away from training to come around to. I realized that I wasn't comfortable resting; I didn't know how to do it very well. I admit that part of this struggle was diet-related; that is, I was afraid I wouldn't be able to reduce my calorie intake appropriately for the training I was no longer doing. But while I struggled with this initially during my break, I think I made real progress in learning to eat mindfully and for a less active body. It's a surprisingly difficult thing to do.

But now I'm back. Or at least, I'm getting there. I'm not entirely sure which activities I want to move forward with; obviously I want to run, but beyond that, I have wondered if the CrossBoot classes I became so hardcore about were too much for my body or my goals. I'm actually terrified of going back, mostly because of how much strength I've lost and how difficult I know it will be, but also because I don't want to become obsessive about any type of exercise I do. I think I began to get a little obsessed around the time of my injury. I definitely want to continue with yoga, which has been a savior to me during my healing process. I've come back to the Ashtanga practice that I'd once done regularly and then sort of abandoned, and I'm happy to be doing it again. I really love biking, but I don't see myself making significant gains in road-biking. I love my road bike, but I don't use it to its potential, and I'm not certain whether I want to keep it or perhaps sell it and get a mountain bike :) I continue to ride my easy, trusty cruiser for commuting around town on the weekends, and that brings me great pleasure.

I'm sure I'll figure more of this out in the coming weeks. I want to run the Gasparilla half marathon on February 24, so I'll need to come up with an appropriate training plan for where I am right now, which may not mean a PR like I'd hoped. But that's okay. Everything will be okay, I've learned.


People Liked to Read...

Surgery Chronicles: I Exhale

I've really been holding my breath with this recovery, more so than the last one for some reason. After getting past the three-week point (which was two weeks ago, when I started to write this), I felt a little more at ease. Since then I've been changing my own dressing daily and slowly weaning off of crutches so I can now walk around in the boot—hands-free! I'm still a slave to icing and elevating as much as possible throughout the day. But the very best part? There's no other foot left to do. After this, I'm done, done, done. I can start to return to a life not defined by sitting and waiting and feeling confined and limited and trying my hardest to heal but having little actual control over any of it.

I wrote in my last post about the difficult emotions I'd been having throughout this second surgery recovery. I think I underestimated the psychological toll I would take doing one foot right after the other. And while there was a feeling of elation after gettin…

Surgery Chronicles: 12 Weeks and Progress

I'm now more than 12 weeks recovered from my second (and final!) foot surgery, and life is starting to feel a little more normal. When I last wrote an update, seven weeks ago (still blaming Irma for all of my delays), I had just gotten off of crutches but would wear my boot for two more weeks. I've been out of the boot and walking in shoes for just over five weeks. The constant discomfort I've felt in my foot from swelling is finally starting to wane. I work in the office now, I do my own groceries, and I even attended a work conference recently, which meant lots of walking at airports and the conference hotel, frequent standing, and few opportunities to elevate and ice. I was very concerned about how my feet, particularly the left one, would endure. And while it wasn't comfortable, I made it through, no worse for the wear in the end.

I joined a new gym/community center recently, with a new and beautiful outdoor pool, and I'm so happy that I'm able to use it n…

Irma: A (Mostly) Photo Essay

For nearly three weeks I've struggled to find the right words to write about Hurricane Irma, which destroyed islands in the Caribbean, then hit South Florida, eventually coming up the center of the state. The Tampa Bay region got really lucky in the end, as it avoided a direct hit and the storm had diminished to a category 2 by the time it arrived. And now Puerto Rico is experiencing a humanitarian crisis after being pummeled by Hurricane Maria. My heart goes out to those people.

My plan when severe weather is forecast to for Tampa is always to go to my sister's house, as the area I live in is highly flood prone and she is on higher ground. This time was no exception; however, her plan was different. She wanted to leave, head north, get out of the state, and she wanted me to go with her and the rest of the family. But I was not in a place to pack up and leave. I had real concerns about my foot recovery; I was about eight weeks post-surgery and very newly out of the boot and in…