Skip to main content

Training Has Begun!

I'm happy to report that I'm back in training. I've been cautiously adding some weekly miles back in since around Thanksgiving, and I finally feel back to normal. Coming back from the injury was a little more difficult than I thought it would be. I was hoping to be able to start training for the Gasparilla half marathon, on February 24, but I wasn't sure I'd be able to take on the training. After two successful long runs in the past two weeks, though, I feel confident I can go forward with my plan. Here's how the first two weeks went:

Week 1: 12/24/12 - 12/30/12
M: 4 mi (E)
T: rest
W: 5 mi (E)
R: rest
F: hot yoga (XT)
Sa: 7 mi (LSD)
Su: Ashtanga yoga (XT)
Weekly mileage: 16

Week 2: 12/31/12 - 1/6/13
M: 3 mi (E) + yin yoga (XT)
T: 3.1 mi (P)
W: CrossBoot (XT)
R: 3.1 mi (E)
F: hot yoga (XT)
Sa: 9 mi (LSD)
Su: mini core workout (XT)
Weekly mileage: 18.2

Key: (E) = Easy; (P) = Pace; (LSD) = Long Slow Distance; (XT) = Cross Training

In other news . . .

2012 Mileage
I finally downloaded all of the running data from my Garmin Forerunner since this past July, and after also figuring out how to use GarminConnect, I discovered that I ran 924.35 miles in 2012--according to my watch. This number is not completely accurate for several reasons: (1) very occasionally, I forget my watch, like maybe a couple times per year, so a couple of runs may not be represented in this figure; (2) sometimes I forget to stop my watch after a run, and if I'm out somewhere, say 25 miles from home, the watch will continue to track my mileage as I'm driving home, ending with an obscene number of miles that I didn't actually run (but this only happened once, I think); (4) I walked some of these miles, especially during my injury, when I didn't feel like figuring out how to set my watch to a walking mode; and (3) I didn't upload data from my watch to GarminConnect for every part of every month in 2012, so some runs may also be missing for that reason. But overall, and considering that some of these exceptions cancel each other out, the figure is probably pretty close to the number of miles I actually ran. What's remarkable, at least to me, about the number is that it looks so close to 1,000 (not that 75.65 miles is insignificant) that I feel I just must set a goal for 2013 to meet or exceed 1,000 miles.

Running for Brews
Also, I've been trying to get back into social running groups lately, which has been a little tricky, but also fun. Most recently I've run with the group Running for Brews - South Tampa, a group started by a local triathlete/runner/businessperson, Johnny McMahan. Two of these runs take place just a few blocks away from me at local bars. The way they work is like this: meet at bar at designated time, sign in, leave as a group for 5K run, return at your own pace and then hang around for socialization and drinks. I struggle with these types of groups for a couple of reasons: (1) I often enjoy running alone, (2) I can be shy and awkward around new people, and, perhaps most ironic of all, (3) I don't drink beer. When I do drink, I stick mostly to wine, and only red, but how enticing does a glass of red wine sound after a three-mile run? Not very. I haven't found a way around this yet. I keep meaning to ask the bartenders what kind of creative non-alcoholic drinks are available to me, that also don't have a ton of calories and are cheep enough to get regularly. It's a challenge, for sure, but one I'll put up with for now. I have met new people, and that's the point. The group has also extended the route to a 10K run for those who want more distance (at an earlier start time), and I think I might try that out this week. The people have been very welcoming, and I'll admit that it feels nice to be a part of something. They also do social outings that are non-running related, so I look forward to participating in one of those soon. Here's a picture from the first run in the new year (I was holding the beer as a prop--seriously):


Nike Women's Marathon (Half Marathon)
One more thing: I've signed up to run the Nike Women's Marathon series half marathon in Washington, DC, this April. A friend of mine who was also signed up to run the Marine Corps Marathon in October, but who also did not make it, told me about this race, and the associated "bling." Instead of earning a medal, finishers receive a Tiffany necklace. This didn't really get me very excited, as I'm not a "blingy" kind of person, but I knew we'd be signing up as a group with my friend's mother and her friends, and it would be a trip to DC. I thought of it as a redemption DC race. We had to put our names in for a drawing to see if we could even get in, and, as luck would have it, we did! So I have another half marathon to look forward to as well as a spring trip to DC. Oh, and a fancy necklace, of course.

Comments

People Liked to Read...

Play of Summer

Even though it is still technically spring time, the summer college semester begins in one week, the weather is consistently sunny and mid-80s, and baseball season is in full bloom. I embrace this time of year as a time to extend my outside activities beyond my nightly walks, to bike rides, benefit runs, beach days, and a newfound interest in softball. Yesterday Joe and I began the day with a 7:25am 5K run to benefit the Child Abuse Council . One of Tampa's largest and most regular 5Ks, the Gunn Allen Financial May Classic brought out over 1,500 of Tampa's athletes and do-gooders. Since it was a last-minute decision for us to register, we did not have a a chance to train, but we had both been keeping a somewhat regular exercise schedule in the weeks leading up to the run. Our goal was to finish, preferably to finish running. And we did. 36 minutes of concrete pounding, rhythmic breathing, and humanistic awareness, and we had completed our first 5K together, having run th

Surgery Chronicles: 12 Weeks and Progress

I'm now more than 12 weeks recovered from my second (and final!) foot surgery, and life is starting to feel a little more normal. When I l ast wrote an update , seven weeks ago (still blaming Irma for all of my delays), I had just gotten off of crutches but would wear my boot for two more weeks. I've been out of the boot and walking in shoes for just over five weeks. The constant discomfort I've felt in my foot from swelling is finally starting to wane. I work in the office now, I do my own groceries, and I even attended a work conference recently, which meant lots of walking at airports and the conference hotel, frequent standing, and few opportunities to elevate and ice. I was very concerned about how my feet, particularly the left one, would endure. And while it wasn't comfortable, I made it through, no worse for the wear in the end. I joined a new gym/community center recently, with a new and beautiful outdoor pool, and I'm so happy that I'm able to use

Surgery Chronicles: First Steps

This past week I took my first steps in a real shoe with my new foot. As with any first steps, I felt it worthy of recording: I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but my surprise, it felt perfectly fine—no pain. There were a few tears, though. I got rather emotional after so many weeks of anticipation, of protecting and worrying about my foot and wondering if I'd be able to use it again, even though I knew rationally that I would. It's very different to experience the act than to imagine it. Now it was real. Of course, I'd been walking in a boot for a few weeks, but it's just not the same. The boot intentionally keeps your foot from flexing and bending, so it's being cradled and coddled, which means you get used to walking without really using your foot. So in my first attempts at walking, I still wasn't really using my foot because that's what I'd gotten used to. Once I started walking around more, I realized I also wasn't stepping evenly