Skip to main content

Tampa Bay Corporate 5K: A 3.36-mi PR!

Last night, with fairly warm temps and a present wind, I ran the inaugural Tampa Bay Corporate 5K. The race started and finished at Curtis Hixon Park in downtown Tampa. The race was put on by Mena Shaw Races, operated by co-race directors (and my friends) Benjamin Mena and Beth Shaw.

My overall takeaway from the night is that they put on a wonderful event. There was an issue with the course--it ended up being about a quarter mile long--and that might have kept me from PRing the 5K distance, but there's no real telling. Let's just say I was close at 3.1 miles. But one benefit of knowing the race directors is being able to get the back story on things like this, and it turns out the police or other city officials actually made them move the race start/finish about a quarter mile farther from where they had determined the correct start/finish point for 3.1 miles. These things happen, and it wasn't the race directors' fault. So what I can say is that I ran a PR for this very specific distance ;-)

Here's a pre-race group shot of the Live. Sweat. Sleep. Repeat. team, plus some gratuitous photo-bombers (myself included, as I technically ran for the Tampa Crossboot team):


We look so happy. Then we ran. And the course was what I would call semi-challenging. I realize others would not and did not think of it in this way. It was an out-and-back course with a bridge (which we ran over twice) and a lot of winding near the turnaround point. I've taken the already lovely course map and enhanced it even more:


I was doing all right until the return trip over the bridge, where I thought I could possibly be inducing a heart attack, and then I noticed at some point between the bridge and the turn onto Cass St. that my shoe was untied. I thought for about 20 ft. about letting it go; I only had about a half-mile left (or so I thought), and what were the chances of my tripping over my shoe lace for that distance? Well, I couldn't calculate my chances well enough because I don't know the stats on such a thing, so I decided to be safe and tie it. Have you ever been running full-throttle for more than two miles and then needed to (1) make a very sudden stop, (2) bend down to the ground, (3) do something using fine motor skills, and then (4) stand back up and try to get back your momentum? I think it's scientifically impossible. But I tried my best. And at the "probably 3.1" point on the map, I was gassed out. Once I saw that I wouldn't PR, it was hard to keep pushing myself. Until, that is, the very last push down the finishing chute, when a couple of guys running in next to me started to pull ahead and my body said, no way, and I found this extra store of energy to blow past them. I wonder how much I really had in there, and when I could have started using it . . .

Here are my numbers:


Not terrible, but my watch actually said my average pace was 7:59, which looks so much better to me than 8:00. And my classic error in 5K races is starting out too fast, which I obviously did here. I still need to learn how to run these things more efficiently.

But, the great news is that I'm on the first page of female finishers again! I'll take 36th place. It was a tough race, and I pushed hard for my time.


But the best part of the event was getting to see so many running friends out together in one beautiful place. The post-race party in Curtis Hixon was a lot of fun--with not only beer, but also wine! Finally, someone who understands my constant dilemma at post-race parties (thank, Ben!).

Beth and Ben put on an amazing race event, and I'll gladly register for any others they do!

Comments

People Liked to Read...

Surgery Chronicles: 12 Weeks and Progress

I'm now more than 12 weeks recovered from my second (and final!) foot surgery, and life is starting to feel a little more normal. When I l ast wrote an update , seven weeks ago (still blaming Irma for all of my delays), I had just gotten off of crutches but would wear my boot for two more weeks. I've been out of the boot and walking in shoes for just over five weeks. The constant discomfort I've felt in my foot from swelling is finally starting to wane. I work in the office now, I do my own groceries, and I even attended a work conference recently, which meant lots of walking at airports and the conference hotel, frequent standing, and few opportunities to elevate and ice. I was very concerned about how my feet, particularly the left one, would endure. And while it wasn't comfortable, I made it through, no worse for the wear in the end. I joined a new gym/community center recently, with a new and beautiful outdoor pool, and I'm so happy that I'm able to use

Play of Summer

Even though it is still technically spring time, the summer college semester begins in one week, the weather is consistently sunny and mid-80s, and baseball season is in full bloom. I embrace this time of year as a time to extend my outside activities beyond my nightly walks, to bike rides, benefit runs, beach days, and a newfound interest in softball. Yesterday Joe and I began the day with a 7:25am 5K run to benefit the Child Abuse Council . One of Tampa's largest and most regular 5Ks, the Gunn Allen Financial May Classic brought out over 1,500 of Tampa's athletes and do-gooders. Since it was a last-minute decision for us to register, we did not have a a chance to train, but we had both been keeping a somewhat regular exercise schedule in the weeks leading up to the run. Our goal was to finish, preferably to finish running. And we did. 36 minutes of concrete pounding, rhythmic breathing, and humanistic awareness, and we had completed our first 5K together, having run th

Surgery Chronicles: First Steps

This past week I took my first steps in a real shoe with my new foot. As with any first steps, I felt it worthy of recording: I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but my surprise, it felt perfectly fine—no pain. There were a few tears, though. I got rather emotional after so many weeks of anticipation, of protecting and worrying about my foot and wondering if I'd be able to use it again, even though I knew rationally that I would. It's very different to experience the act than to imagine it. Now it was real. Of course, I'd been walking in a boot for a few weeks, but it's just not the same. The boot intentionally keeps your foot from flexing and bending, so it's being cradled and coddled, which means you get used to walking without really using your foot. So in my first attempts at walking, I still wasn't really using my foot because that's what I'd gotten used to. Once I started walking around more, I realized I also wasn't stepping evenly