Skip to main content

I'll Take My Race Timed, Thank You

My friend Beth brought to my attention this Wall Street Journal article about the decline of competitiveness in younger runners (20s and 30s) these days. In the article, titled "The Slowest Generation" (ouch), author Kevin Helliker touches on the popularity of races such as the Color Run, which embrace the ideologies of running for fun and running to finish, and which therefore do not even time their participants. I can think immediately of several runs that have followed in the footsteps of the Color Run--the Flavor Run, the Glow Run, the Color Vibe 5K, Color Me Rad, and the list goes on. I've never attended these "races," for a number of reasons:
  1. I don't like distractions during a race (such as color being thrown at me). 
  2. Races are a healthy environment in which to express competitiveness; in fact, that's what they're made for.
  3. I already feel a great sense of camaraderie when I run a timed race; while there is competition among runners, there is also good will and respect.
  4. Registration fees for these types of races are often exorbitant--upwards of $45 for a 5k, and they aren't even paying for timing! AND you often have to buy a white t-shirt that you can then ruin with paint.
  5. The size of some of these races is so large that the race must start in waves, some going into the later hours of the morning. I don't want to wait around for that.
This isn't to say that the races don't have value; obviously if they are getting such high numbers of registrants, and more copycat races are able to thrive, a certain population of runners is being served. And initially, my thoughts about the color runs and the like were, good for those runners. I may not want to run those races, but if colored paint and a non-competitive environment get new or timid runners out there, great! And while I still feel this way to an extent, I found Helliker's article illuminating and his point that there is "a growing embrace of mediocrity" frightening.

I recently posted about a 10k race I ran--one that I thought I'd be able to take lightly, but could not. And I'm glad I cannot ignore the instinct to race, to push harder than I do in any training run, harder than I think I can, until I feel breathless, used up, my muscles begging me to stop but my determination willing me to go, because if I slow down now, then what was it all for? How do I ever know what I'm capable of? What will I strive to outdo next time if not a personal best? Those words mean something significant to me, and the place to put them into action is at a race. And a race is not a race if it is stripped of its competitive nature. And while running is not a career for me, it's still dearly important. It informs so many other areas of my life. Running--racing, in particular--has given me as sense of confidence and pride that I was lacking before. If I were to approach other areas of my life with an "I'm just here to finish" or "I'm just here for fun" mentality, I'd be ill-respected at work, my relationships would suffer, and, worst of all, I would not know my own worth. Running is not just about running; it's about pushing oneself past boundaries once thought insurmountable. And that is best exemplified in racing.

So I'm taking Helliker's piece as a call to action. I refuse to be in the ranks of the mediocre; even if my times are not stellar, I take pride in knowing I tried my best. I put everything out there on the race course. And whatever impact my results have on my generation's racing times, I am proud of those results, and I know they were hard-earned.

Comments

Anonymous said…
What is the point in attempting anything if you're not going to try to excel. Isn't it human nature to want to do well in everything and anything. It doesn't mean you'll be the best but internally, you want to be the best or at least attempt to be the best. Even if you don't say it loudly to your friends or peers. Do you ever hear people scream "Yes, I got last place!!"? But you do hear people say something to the effect of "Yes, I've won first" or "Yes, I did better than last time." Anywho, the dude you referenced is right. "A growing embrace of mediocrity" is not the type of mentality I wish to be around. Like this post,Lee. Thanks.--G.Alcin
Lee Davidson said…
Thanks, G! Appreciate the feedback :)

People Liked to Read...

Play of Summer

Even though it is still technically spring time, the summer college semester begins in one week, the weather is consistently sunny and mid-80s, and baseball season is in full bloom. I embrace this time of year as a time to extend my outside activities beyond my nightly walks, to bike rides, benefit runs, beach days, and a newfound interest in softball. Yesterday Joe and I began the day with a 7:25am 5K run to benefit the Child Abuse Council . One of Tampa's largest and most regular 5Ks, the Gunn Allen Financial May Classic brought out over 1,500 of Tampa's athletes and do-gooders. Since it was a last-minute decision for us to register, we did not have a a chance to train, but we had both been keeping a somewhat regular exercise schedule in the weeks leading up to the run. Our goal was to finish, preferably to finish running. And we did. 36 minutes of concrete pounding, rhythmic breathing, and humanistic awareness, and we had completed our first 5K together, having run th

Surgery Chronicles: 12 Weeks and Progress

I'm now more than 12 weeks recovered from my second (and final!) foot surgery, and life is starting to feel a little more normal. When I l ast wrote an update , seven weeks ago (still blaming Irma for all of my delays), I had just gotten off of crutches but would wear my boot for two more weeks. I've been out of the boot and walking in shoes for just over five weeks. The constant discomfort I've felt in my foot from swelling is finally starting to wane. I work in the office now, I do my own groceries, and I even attended a work conference recently, which meant lots of walking at airports and the conference hotel, frequent standing, and few opportunities to elevate and ice. I was very concerned about how my feet, particularly the left one, would endure. And while it wasn't comfortable, I made it through, no worse for the wear in the end. I joined a new gym/community center recently, with a new and beautiful outdoor pool, and I'm so happy that I'm able to use

Surgery Chronicles: First Steps

This past week I took my first steps in a real shoe with my new foot. As with any first steps, I felt it worthy of recording: I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but my surprise, it felt perfectly fine—no pain. There were a few tears, though. I got rather emotional after so many weeks of anticipation, of protecting and worrying about my foot and wondering if I'd be able to use it again, even though I knew rationally that I would. It's very different to experience the act than to imagine it. Now it was real. Of course, I'd been walking in a boot for a few weeks, but it's just not the same. The boot intentionally keeps your foot from flexing and bending, so it's being cradled and coddled, which means you get used to walking without really using your foot. So in my first attempts at walking, I still wasn't really using my foot because that's what I'd gotten used to. Once I started walking around more, I realized I also wasn't stepping evenly