Skip to main content

Race Report: HOT Run 10K

Last night, I raced for the first time since July. A month or so ago, Tim said he was signing up for this 10k race put on by local race director Chris Lauber, and asked if I wanted him to sign me up, too. Sure, I said. (Some six-mile race over a month away? No problem.) The race was the HOT Run 5K and 10K, sponsored by the radio station HOT 101.5. It was out at Pass-A-Grille Beach, on a Thursday evening. This made it rather stressful to get to after work, but even in the hours leading up to the race, I was thinking, I'm just going to treat this as a training run. No pressure for time. But that never works. I even left my watch in my car, so I wouldn't be obsessed with looking at my pace--but also because it was raining lightly.

The course was a 1.55-mile loop; 5k racers would run it twice, and 10k-racers would run it FOUR times (I love running in circles!). The 5k group had a four minute lead on our group. This further meant that the time clock would display the time based on when the 5k group started (this will be significant later). As soon as the starting horn went off for our group, I was in race mode. It's unavoidable. I was instantly trying to push my way past those runner who really did seem to be taking it lightly; I suddenly had no time for that. The first lap felt like a 5k in itself. Without my watch, I had no idea how fast I was running, but it felt extremely uncomfortable, so I know it was fast, for me. And while I know I wasn't able to maintain that level exertion for the remaining three laps, I didn't back down. I never allowed myself to let go of the push, and I could feel that I picked up my pace in the final mile. I know what that feels like now; I've been practicing it during training runs. In fact, I did my final push a bit too early. I kept thinking I'd see finishing chute just around the corner; okay, the next corner; no wait, it's the next. When I finally did get to that chute, I made sure to look at the clock, as I usually fail to do that. It said 58:35. So I'm thinking, 58:35 minus the four-minute time gap from the 5k start would be around 54 and a half; not bad.

After taking a few minutes afterward to recover from near-hyperventilation from my too-long final push, I celebrated with Tim and some other friends. We had some drinks and food. We were in good spirits. Then we went to look at the results, which had been printed out and posted. The entries were arranged by time, so I was looking for my name around 54 minutes or so, and I wasn't seeing it. After looking farther and farther down the list, I saw my name and official time:


57:44. Hmph. That couldn't be right. (This would've been a great time to consult my watch time; but alas, I didn't have one.) Tim's results were higher than he thought, too (he, too, ran without his own timing device). Even a stranger commented to us that the times seemed slower than they should be, and we readily agreed. We just couldn't figure it out. My posted time would suggest that there was less than a one-minute delay from the start of the 5k to the start of the 10k, and I know that wasn't the case. Not only did they tell us four minutes, but it felt like at least four minutes. Tim and I left in grumpy moods (one of us a more grumpy than the other--not saying who).

One cool thing that came out of this race is the medal:

I don't like to complain about races--and other than the timing, I think it was a good race (if you don't mind running in four loops). But the timing aspect is kind of important, and the numbers just aren't adding up. We'll likely never know if something went wrong with the timing, or if we were both just slower than we thought. We have, after all, been logging lots of long miles in marathon training, and our emphasis has not been on pace. But it sure as hell felt like I ran faster. And one thing's for sure: we'll both be sure to wear our own timing devices in future races--rain or no rain. This "not knowing" stuff is frustrating. I'm still glad I did the race, in the end. I needed to race at least once during training, and I need to remember what it feels like to truly push. Duly noted.


People Liked to Read...

Surgery Chronicles: Hard Feelings

I'm one and a half weeks out from my second foot surgery, and, by all important measures, I'm doing well. But boy has the past week been difficult. In the first few days post-surgery I was in a pretty good mood; the surgery had gone well, I was in the excellent care of my mom, and I had made it past the last major hurdle of this months-long event. All I had to look forward to was recovery and progress and gradually returning to my normal life, whatever that might look like.

But even though I've gone through this process once already, it's still just as difficult this time around. There's the constant worrying about this weird feeling or that new pain, the accidental step in the middle of the night when I forgot which foot was injured, and the agonizing wait time between appointments. Now it's compounded by concern over whether I'm taking good enough care of my first foot. Did I ruin the surgery when I stubbed my toe falling off an exercise ball? Am I using …

Surgery Chronicles: I Exhale

I've really been holding my breath with this recovery, more so than the last one for some reason. After getting past the three-week point (which was two weeks ago, when I started to write this), I felt a little more at ease. Since then I've been changing my own dressing daily and slowly weaning off of crutches so I can now walk around in the boot—hands-free! I'm still a slave to icing and elevating as much as possible throughout the day. But the very best part? There's no other foot left to do. After this, I'm done, done, done. I can start to return to a life not defined by sitting and waiting and feeling confined and limited and trying my hardest to heal but having little actual control over any of it.

I wrote in my last post about the difficult emotions I'd been having throughout this second surgery recovery. I think I underestimated the psychological toll I would take doing one foot right after the other. And while there was a feeling of elation after gettin…

Surgery Chronicles: 12 Weeks and Progress

I'm now more than 12 weeks recovered from my second (and final!) foot surgery, and life is starting to feel a little more normal. When I last wrote an update, seven weeks ago (still blaming Irma for all of my delays), I had just gotten off of crutches but would wear my boot for two more weeks. I've been out of the boot and walking in shoes for just over five weeks. The constant discomfort I've felt in my foot from swelling is finally starting to wane. I work in the office now, I do my own groceries, and I even attended a work conference recently, which meant lots of walking at airports and the conference hotel, frequent standing, and few opportunities to elevate and ice. I was very concerned about how my feet, particularly the left one, would endure. And while it wasn't comfortable, I made it through, no worse for the wear in the end.

I joined a new gym/community center recently, with a new and beautiful outdoor pool, and I'm so happy that I'm able to use it n…