Skip to main content

Hills of San Ann, Wine & Cheese, and a Return to Yoga

Last weekend felt sort of like a real weekend--like one that didn't revolve solely around training, or rather, like one that didn't start with a long run that drained the life out of me.

Of course, it still started with a long and hard training run, but the training burden had been somewhat ameliorated since completing my last 20-miler the weekend prior. I still wanted to get another hill run in before the marathon, so Tim and I woke up at our usual 4:30 a.m. and grumpily drove about 45 minutes out to San Antonio, Florida.

We met up with a few friends and started out in the 68-degree weather and darkness. The guys went off ahead of me and another friend, Cathy, and I was hoping to be able to see them long enough to know which way to turn onto the main road. I brought my handy flashlight that I'd bought for the Longwood run, but it only shined 10 feet out, and the guys were much farther ahead than that. Luckily, one of the guys stopped at the turning point and yelled back at us to indicate the turning point. I heard him first and then yelled back at Cathy. (I then wondered what all of the quiet residences alongside the road must have thought.)

Once on the main road, Scharber Road, the route was just out and back. I was doing 14 miles, which is the same amount of mileage I did last time I ran San Antonio, so it was familiar to me. I thought I'd be a bit sluggish, having just come off of 20 miles the previous weekend, so I was a bit surprised when some of my miles were dipping down in the 9:30s and faster. And as the mile splits indicate, I was sort of all over the place with my pacing:


I guess that's what happens when running up and down hills, but I'd like to have a little bit more control over it--especially on marathon day. I sort of let the downhills take control of me, and then it's a struggle to go back uphill. But all in all, it was a good, solid run. I definitely struggled up the last big hill and even walked a few steps and thought, no--must run! And I did, as best I could. Despite that, I have mostly negative splits, and I especially like seeing those eights at the end! This run left me feeling encouraged for Steamtown, and, best of all, it didn't suck the life out of me.

Later that evening, Tim and I finally went to check out a newish restaurant in downtown Tampa that we'd heard about for some time--Crumb & Cork. I was excited to relax with some wine and live jazz music, but I wasn't entirely sure how accommodating the menu would be for me. I don't really eat cheese, but I figured they'd have something for me. As it turns out, the selection was pretty limited--especially for a true vegan (which I'm not, as I eat fish and eggs, occasionally). What they do offer, though, is an extensive selection of hand-picked wines, cheeses, and meats. And the menu items are offered as samplers, sort of. Just as they offer wine flights, they also offer boards of cheeses and meats with various spreads. There was one vegetarian board that did not include meat, but that much cheese would have done my stomach in. So I settled on a caesar salad and some "accessories"--baguette crostini with an olive tapenade and mini pickles. And while Tim ordered a white wine flight, I opted for a sangria (I can rarely pass up a sangria--even in a restaurant with a vast variety of unique and hand-selected wines).


Tim's white wines, which he finished like a champ--a very sophisticated champ.

Happy about my sangria, to the chagrin of our server, who really wanted me to try a red wine flight.

Perhaps the classiest move I made all night was to present our server with a coupon for $30, which I paid $15 for through CL Deals (this restaurant's deal is no longer available, but many other great restaurants have good deals posted).

The next morning, I had plans to attend a yoga class taught by my friend Kerri Mersereau, at Lululemon, a yoga apparel store that also offers community yoga classes once a week. I was really looking forward to this class, as I had been away from yoga for nearly a month, and was missing it. Her class focused on yoga for runners, which was perfect for my needs so close to the marathon. Yoga has always felt very natural to me--far more natural than running sometimes feels--but I was a little surprised that I had to focus so much on my breathing. That part is what was lost after being away from practice for so long. But the class was wonderful and reminded me to keep yoga in my weekly routine, no matter how much marathon training I'm doing. It's good for my body, mind, and soul, and the benefits are pretty immediate.

As I'm a week behind on posting, you'll likely have the great privilege of reading yet another post very soon on the last long run before marathon training. Try to contain yourself!

Comments

B.o.B. said…
Awesome awesome awesome run lady!!! You're going to do so well at Steamtown. I can't wait for the recap! Can we PLEASE meet up for coffee or something? Miss your face!

People Liked to Read...

Play of Summer

Even though it is still technically spring time, the summer college semester begins in one week, the weather is consistently sunny and mid-80s, and baseball season is in full bloom. I embrace this time of year as a time to extend my outside activities beyond my nightly walks, to bike rides, benefit runs, beach days, and a newfound interest in softball. Yesterday Joe and I began the day with a 7:25am 5K run to benefit the Child Abuse Council . One of Tampa's largest and most regular 5Ks, the Gunn Allen Financial May Classic brought out over 1,500 of Tampa's athletes and do-gooders. Since it was a last-minute decision for us to register, we did not have a a chance to train, but we had both been keeping a somewhat regular exercise schedule in the weeks leading up to the run. Our goal was to finish, preferably to finish running. And we did. 36 minutes of concrete pounding, rhythmic breathing, and humanistic awareness, and we had completed our first 5K together, having run th

Surgery Chronicles: 12 Weeks and Progress

I'm now more than 12 weeks recovered from my second (and final!) foot surgery, and life is starting to feel a little more normal. When I l ast wrote an update , seven weeks ago (still blaming Irma for all of my delays), I had just gotten off of crutches but would wear my boot for two more weeks. I've been out of the boot and walking in shoes for just over five weeks. The constant discomfort I've felt in my foot from swelling is finally starting to wane. I work in the office now, I do my own groceries, and I even attended a work conference recently, which meant lots of walking at airports and the conference hotel, frequent standing, and few opportunities to elevate and ice. I was very concerned about how my feet, particularly the left one, would endure. And while it wasn't comfortable, I made it through, no worse for the wear in the end. I joined a new gym/community center recently, with a new and beautiful outdoor pool, and I'm so happy that I'm able to use

Surgery Chronicles: First Steps

This past week I took my first steps in a real shoe with my new foot. As with any first steps, I felt it worthy of recording: I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but my surprise, it felt perfectly fine—no pain. There were a few tears, though. I got rather emotional after so many weeks of anticipation, of protecting and worrying about my foot and wondering if I'd be able to use it again, even though I knew rationally that I would. It's very different to experience the act than to imagine it. Now it was real. Of course, I'd been walking in a boot for a few weeks, but it's just not the same. The boot intentionally keeps your foot from flexing and bending, so it's being cradled and coddled, which means you get used to walking without really using your foot. So in my first attempts at walking, I still wasn't really using my foot because that's what I'd gotten used to. Once I started walking around more, I realized I also wasn't stepping evenly