Skip to main content

Oh My Aching Arms / Back at It! / I Feel Weak

Clearly I've gone through a decent range of physical/emotional feelings the past few weeks.

Oct. 30: I went to Crossboot, as I usually do on a Wednesday night, and, like usual, I pushed myself through a tough workout. When I woke up the next morning, I could barely bend my arms because it was too painful. Washing my hair, brushing my teeth--everyday things I never think about caused tear-inducing pain. (I didn't notice any particular moment of pain during the previous night's workout, but I did push hard to get through some plyo-push-ups and did about a ton of dips.) I went to work but then scheduled an "emergency" massage to have the upper backs of my arms worked on--my triceps, but also down to my elbow. That helped a little bit, but when I woke up the next morning still in significant pain, I began to get a little worried. This was beyond sore-muscle pain. When Saturday came and I woke up for my first long run since my marathon, I got about a mile in and couldn't run any farther. The pain in my arms, just from running, was too much. So I walked six miles. Then I really began to worry. I happened to see this article floating around Facebook (also one that my sister pointed me to, not taking into consideration my serious case of hypochondria), about a condition called rhabdomyolysis. After reading the athlete's story in the article, I was convinced that's what I had, and I'd never have muscle tone in my arms again. But then on Monday, I felt normal again. Crisis averted.

Nov. 9: I finally had a decent long run since my marathon. It was 13 miles, which, because of timing before my upcoming half marathon, needed to be my longest run before the race. I'd only have one more long run, which in my mind should be a taper run. And while the 13 felt pretty tough, I was happy to have done it. And on my next two runs after, my pace was coming back down to pre-marathon--actually a pre-marathon-training--numbers. So I felt great! My new kicks helped:

Brooks Ghost 6--same trusty shoe, but updated with actual colors in the wide size!

Nov. 13 (tonight): I went to Crossboot and endured the typically grueling workout. What felt different, though, is that I had to modify down some of the exercises I usually have been able to do without modification. I got so frustrated with myself when I could barely do a short set of push-ups (granted, I had previously done 40 burpees and several plank exercises). One of the coaches had to motivate me through the set of modified push-ups, which I was doing inclined, off of a giant tire. It made me want to cry. And that's how I left class tonight. I recognized how ridiculous it was to cry over not being able to do push-ups as well as I have before, but I just felt like crying anyway. So I did. By myself. On my car ride home.

When I got home, I talked to Tim, who helped put things in perspective. My main focus for the past several months has been marathon training. And while that race happened a month ago now, I had cut back on strength-training leading up to and right after the marathon. It makes sense that I would've lost some strength. Also, I used to go to Crossboot classes two or three times a week, when I was single and looking for things to occupy my time, which is when I was at my strongest. Now I go once a week, if I'm lucky. I guess I just have to choose what's most important to spend my time on, and I think I have. I then have to accept that I may not be a push-up champion anytime soon.

Comments

shirley said…
So, did you ever find out what the cause of the pain in your arms was? I know it stopped but I was getting really concerned for you.

And I'm your Aunt so remember I'm allowed to be concerned. I almost cried for you on that drive home.

Love you Sweet Girl
Lee Davidson said…
Aw, thanks for your concern, Aunt Shirley :) I never did get my arms checked out. Despite my fears, they were getting slightly better each day (otherwise I'd have gone to a doctor--or perhaps the ER, as Tim suggested--:-]). I think I just pulled/strained my muscles, but not to the point of long-term damage, thankfully.
Vanessa Adams said…
If I were to hazard a guess, maybe you just overworked your arms. Given as you said that you pushed harder than usual, must be the reason your arms have been aching that much. If I were to suggest maybe instead of having to push your arm muscles over one single workout, have it in progressive intensities so as not to shock your muscles.

Vanessa Adams
Team Forgey said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Team Forgey said…
There is always a catch every time you push too hard. I do admire your spirit in always keeping in shape for marathons. However, let us also not forget that our body gets tired and overworked too. Taking a few days off will never harm you. I am hoping you’re better now. :)

Team Forgey

People Liked to Read...

Surgery Chronicles: Start Here

I alluded in my last post to upcoming foot surgeries I'd soon be posting about. I'm now 19 days away from the first one, and my thoughts pretty constantly revolve around how my life will change after that when I wake up from my "twilight" sleep after the first operation. In my best frame of mind, the scenario is like this: I'll spend a few weeks out of commission, getting some forced rest, spend a few weeks in a boot, limited exercise, and my right foot will be recovered. Then I repeat on the left foot and by fall I'm back on my feet again. That's the Twitter version. But the version that most often plays out in my head is more like a volume of books, with the details of every day painstakingly planned, agonized over, and wondered about. How will I make food? Bathe? Focus on work? Get the mail, take out the trash, do laundry? Will I be in a lot of pain? Will I go crazy during my long days isolated at home? Will people forget about me? Will I get the resul…

2017 and Beyond

If this sounds like a very late new year resolutions post, that's because it is. I never quite finished expounding on my goals for the year, but I wrote 10 things down, so I figure it's worth posting. Plus, I'm going to have lots of cause to post more in the coming months, as I (plan to) chronicle my upcoming foot surgeries, so I may as well resurrect the blog now.I started out last year's resolutions post saying, "This past year was one of the most challenging years of my life." But 2016 has proven to be a hearty rival. The year was heavily mixed with positive and negative events, emotions all over the place. The good: I ran again, I swam, I came back to yoga, I wrote a lot (just not here), I blossomed at work, I loved my family hard. The bad: I injured myself again and couldn't run, I gave up on biking (but later picked it back up), I floundered trying to find purpose, I distanced myself from friends, and I nearly drowned in my anxiety. But I tried, in …

Let the Training Begin ... Please. Please Let It Begin.

Just in time for the start of the summer Olympics, for added motivation, I've laid out my marathon training for the Savannah Rock 'n' Roll Marathon in November. And having just come home from a few days of fun family vacation at New Smyrna Beach, during which I managed to run once, I'm feeling the need more than ever to get back into a routine. I've been working out most days, but with no real plan or goals. That's been sort of fun, I guess, but it's also left me feeling anxious—that I'll have a hard time adapting back into a routine, that I've lost the drive to train hard, or that I simply care less about training. And if that latter scenario is true, what is there instead? I'm getting ahead of myself, but those are the fears. 



My training plan is adapted from The Complete Book of Running for Women, by Claire Kowalczic, published in 1999. This was my running bible when I first began distance running, about eight years ago now. I find its essenti…