Skip to main content

MCM14 Training, Week 11: Get It Done

Date
Workout
Miles
Avg Pace
Monday, 9/22Regular Run59:15
Tuesday, 9/23Regular Run810:28
Wednesday, 9/24Rest0--
Thursday, 9/25Regular Run79:57
Friday, 9/26Rest0--
Saturday, 9/27Long Run1810:01
Sunday, 9/28Rest0--

Total Weekly Mileage: 38

Last week's theme was simply to "get it done." My runs have been slower lately, but I'm getting through them and my foot seems to me handling the mileage, so I'm OK with the decreased speed. I also ran most of my runs, except for the long one, in the evenings, which my body wasn't adapted to.

Monday's run was one of the last runs of my mini vacation (at home), and perhaps that had something to do with the better pace. I was also coming off of a pretty short long run a couple days back. I guess conditions were just good for that run, which I did once more at Upper Tampa Bay Trail, after visiting with my nieces.

On the Tuesday run, because I was on my last day of mini vacay, I was reluctant to get up early in the morning to run. I started at Four Green Fields Running Club and had a particularly rough time that evening (hence the 10:28 avg. pace). One friend even saw me running back and said he noticed I was "struggling" and thought he'd help run me back in. I'm glad he did--I might otherwise still still be out there. Because I started running in the evenings, which meant running in the sun--a thing I generally avoid, my body had a hard time adapting to the time change. On top of that, my stomach wasn't accustomed to running later in the day, so it was acting up during my evening runs.

I started a new job on Wednesday (I promise to post about that soon), and I had to begin work earlier than in my other job--like, by nearly an hour. So I continued my streak of evening runs, hoping they would get better. As an additional excuse for a poor performance week, I think all of the anxiety and energy that goes into starting a new job caused me to be a little more tired than usual, as I was just dragging through a couple of runs. 

On Thursday evening I accepted beforehand that I might not have a great run, so I just decided to get through it and not worry about pace. It wasn't as painful as Tuesday's run, though I still didn't want to make the evening runs a regular thing (which I was able to address this week at work). 

On Saturday I got through the 18 miler, in Flatwoods, just fine, thankfully. Although I've been feeling different types of pain in my foot, almost as if the pain is just shifting around, I think I can continue to run through it. I don't really feel as though it will cause a serious injury if I keep running. 

My stats for the week show a glaring lack of any cross-training activities--especially compared to previous years of training--and I blame that, too, on starting a new job. It's something I want to fix, but one thing at a time. This year has just been tough, for a number of reasons. I feel I'm accomplishing a lot by just doing my marathon training; perhaps I'll be able to get to a better place in the future when the running part feels like second nature and I can spend more energy on other activities.

For tomorrow, I have 20 miles--my first and last, since my previous effort didn't work out. I feel this will be the ultimate test on my foot. If I get through that, it's just a matter of tapering down for three weeks before the marathon, and I can truly look forward to the event.

Comments

People Liked to Read...

Surgery Chronicles: Start Here

I alluded in my last post to upcoming foot surgeries I'd soon be posting about. I'm now 19 days away from the first one, and my thoughts pretty constantly revolve around how my life will change after that when I wake up from my "twilight" sleep after the first operation. In my best frame of mind, the scenario is like this: I'll spend a few weeks out of commission, getting some forced rest, spend a few weeks in a boot, limited exercise, and my right foot will be recovered. Then I repeat on the left foot and by fall I'm back on my feet again. That's the Twitter version. But the version that most often plays out in my head is more like a volume of books, with the details of every day painstakingly planned, agonized over, and wondered about. How will I make food? Bathe? Focus on work? Get the mail, take out the trash, do laundry? Will I be in a lot of pain? Will I go crazy during my long days isolated at home? Will people forget about me? Will I get the resul…

2017 and Beyond

If this sounds like a very late new year resolutions post, that's because it is. I never quite finished expounding on my goals for the year, but I wrote 10 things down, so I figure it's worth posting. Plus, I'm going to have lots of cause to post more in the coming months, as I (plan to) chronicle my upcoming foot surgeries, so I may as well resurrect the blog now.I started out last year's resolutions post saying, "This past year was one of the most challenging years of my life." But 2016 has proven to be a hearty rival. The year was heavily mixed with positive and negative events, emotions all over the place. The good: I ran again, I swam, I came back to yoga, I wrote a lot (just not here), I blossomed at work, I loved my family hard. The bad: I injured myself again and couldn't run, I gave up on biking (but later picked it back up), I floundered trying to find purpose, I distanced myself from friends, and I nearly drowned in my anxiety. But I tried, in …

Let the Training Begin ... Please. Please Let It Begin.

Just in time for the start of the summer Olympics, for added motivation, I've laid out my marathon training for the Savannah Rock 'n' Roll Marathon in November. And having just come home from a few days of fun family vacation at New Smyrna Beach, during which I managed to run once, I'm feeling the need more than ever to get back into a routine. I've been working out most days, but with no real plan or goals. That's been sort of fun, I guess, but it's also left me feeling anxious—that I'll have a hard time adapting back into a routine, that I've lost the drive to train hard, or that I simply care less about training. And if that latter scenario is true, what is there instead? I'm getting ahead of myself, but those are the fears. 



My training plan is adapted from The Complete Book of Running for Women, by Claire Kowalczic, published in 1999. This was my running bible when I first began distance running, about eight years ago now. I find its essenti…