Skip to main content

MCM14 Training, Week 11: Get It Done

Avg Pace
Monday, 9/22Regular Run59:15
Tuesday, 9/23Regular Run810:28
Wednesday, 9/24Rest0--
Thursday, 9/25Regular Run79:57
Friday, 9/26Rest0--
Saturday, 9/27Long Run1810:01
Sunday, 9/28Rest0--

Total Weekly Mileage: 38

Last week's theme was simply to "get it done." My runs have been slower lately, but I'm getting through them and my foot seems to me handling the mileage, so I'm OK with the decreased speed. I also ran most of my runs, except for the long one, in the evenings, which my body wasn't adapted to.

Monday's run was one of the last runs of my mini vacation (at home), and perhaps that had something to do with the better pace. I was also coming off of a pretty short long run a couple days back. I guess conditions were just good for that run, which I did once more at Upper Tampa Bay Trail, after visiting with my nieces.

On the Tuesday run, because I was on my last day of mini vacay, I was reluctant to get up early in the morning to run. I started at Four Green Fields Running Club and had a particularly rough time that evening (hence the 10:28 avg. pace). One friend even saw me running back and said he noticed I was "struggling" and thought he'd help run me back in. I'm glad he did--I might otherwise still still be out there. Because I started running in the evenings, which meant running in the sun--a thing I generally avoid, my body had a hard time adapting to the time change. On top of that, my stomach wasn't accustomed to running later in the day, so it was acting up during my evening runs.

I started a new job on Wednesday (I promise to post about that soon), and I had to begin work earlier than in my other job--like, by nearly an hour. So I continued my streak of evening runs, hoping they would get better. As an additional excuse for a poor performance week, I think all of the anxiety and energy that goes into starting a new job caused me to be a little more tired than usual, as I was just dragging through a couple of runs. 

On Thursday evening I accepted beforehand that I might not have a great run, so I just decided to get through it and not worry about pace. It wasn't as painful as Tuesday's run, though I still didn't want to make the evening runs a regular thing (which I was able to address this week at work). 

On Saturday I got through the 18 miler, in Flatwoods, just fine, thankfully. Although I've been feeling different types of pain in my foot, almost as if the pain is just shifting around, I think I can continue to run through it. I don't really feel as though it will cause a serious injury if I keep running. 

My stats for the week show a glaring lack of any cross-training activities--especially compared to previous years of training--and I blame that, too, on starting a new job. It's something I want to fix, but one thing at a time. This year has just been tough, for a number of reasons. I feel I'm accomplishing a lot by just doing my marathon training; perhaps I'll be able to get to a better place in the future when the running part feels like second nature and I can spend more energy on other activities.

For tomorrow, I have 20 miles--my first and last, since my previous effort didn't work out. I feel this will be the ultimate test on my foot. If I get through that, it's just a matter of tapering down for three weeks before the marathon, and I can truly look forward to the event.


People Liked to Read...

Surgery Chronicles: I Exhale

I've really been holding my breath with this recovery, more so than the last one for some reason. After getting past the three-week point (which was two weeks ago, when I started to write this), I felt a little more at ease. Since then I've been changing my own dressing daily and slowly weaning off of crutches so I can now walk around in the boot—hands-free! I'm still a slave to icing and elevating as much as possible throughout the day. But the very best part? There's no other foot left to do. After this, I'm done, done, done. I can start to return to a life not defined by sitting and waiting and feeling confined and limited and trying my hardest to heal but having little actual control over any of it.

I wrote in my last post about the difficult emotions I'd been having throughout this second surgery recovery. I think I underestimated the psychological toll I would take doing one foot right after the other. And while there was a feeling of elation after gettin…

Surgery Chronicles: 12 Weeks and Progress

I'm now more than 12 weeks recovered from my second (and final!) foot surgery, and life is starting to feel a little more normal. When I last wrote an update, seven weeks ago (still blaming Irma for all of my delays), I had just gotten off of crutches but would wear my boot for two more weeks. I've been out of the boot and walking in shoes for just over five weeks. The constant discomfort I've felt in my foot from swelling is finally starting to wane. I work in the office now, I do my own groceries, and I even attended a work conference recently, which meant lots of walking at airports and the conference hotel, frequent standing, and few opportunities to elevate and ice. I was very concerned about how my feet, particularly the left one, would endure. And while it wasn't comfortable, I made it through, no worse for the wear in the end.

I joined a new gym/community center recently, with a new and beautiful outdoor pool, and I'm so happy that I'm able to use it n…

Irma: A (Mostly) Photo Essay

For nearly three weeks I've struggled to find the right words to write about Hurricane Irma, which destroyed islands in the Caribbean, then hit South Florida, eventually coming up the center of the state. The Tampa Bay region got really lucky in the end, as it avoided a direct hit and the storm had diminished to a category 2 by the time it arrived. And now Puerto Rico is experiencing a humanitarian crisis after being pummeled by Hurricane Maria. My heart goes out to those people.

My plan when severe weather is forecast to for Tampa is always to go to my sister's house, as the area I live in is highly flood prone and she is on higher ground. This time was no exception; however, her plan was different. She wanted to leave, head north, get out of the state, and she wanted me to go with her and the rest of the family. But I was not in a place to pack up and leave. I had real concerns about my foot recovery; I was about eight weeks post-surgery and very newly out of the boot and in…