Skip to main content

I Adjust

I set out several weeks ago to train for a marathon, knowing there might be a chance I'd have to change my end goal to a half marathon. And so that has happened. Maybe my training plan was too ambitious for where I was in my body, having spent the better part of a year not running and generally trying to avoid being on my feet, or rather my foot, and then slowly coming back to running over the course of four months. I started with a two-mile test run one week, then three miles, gradually adding on a couple more low-mile run days per week. So to expect to go from that careful, measured reentry to a full-on marathon training was perhaps unrealistic, though hopeful. And that I was hopeful is okay; for a time when I wasn't running, I was not hopeful and had forgotten that it was okay to have hope.

But back to my current reality. When I did my farthest long run since April 2015, 12 miles, my body did not support it. Both feet hurt, my hips hurt. And not just in the typical pavement-pounded, pushed-beyond-comfort kind of way, but in a screaming, "stop torturing me" kind of way. So for one of few times in my running life, I decided to listen to my body and ease off. The risk of real damage was too real, still too fresh in my mind. 

Although resolute, I was still frustrated. What was this pain? Why couldn't my body handle a fraction of the distance it used to without much pain at all? I chocked it up to aging. Some people do it better than others. Genetics were not in my favor, with arthritis on one side, gout on another. Not to mention asthma, allergies—all of these inflammatory conditions that had no cure and few truly effective treatments. A healthy lifestyle was the best way to combat symptoms. What more could I do? I already maintained a blandly healthy diet, avoided all the anti-inflammatory foods, exercised regularly, slept  plenty, drank tons of water, took the supplements deemed most healthful according to recent research and then flip-flopped along with said research. I did sit a lot; my job required it. Little remained that I could change. Would I need to give up my beloved single glass of red wine a couple times a week? Or, even more horrifying, coffee? No. I wouldn't do it. I needed what little sanity I still squeaked by with. 

This was the rabbit hole I sent myself down. That narrow tunnel of thoughts that I believed would lead to a solution, a plan ... something I could control. The further I descended, considering and then dismissing each possible answer, the more helpless I felt. Once I came to grips, I simply decided to cut back a bit on mileage the next week, and I would decide about my long run distance at the last minute. Ten miles or 14. It ended up being 10. And so my decision to cut back to the half marathon distance was effectively made. I still haven't changed my registration for the race. At this point, there's no chance of still running a marathon, the way I'd want to, but I'm still having a hard time making the official change. I have until September 22 to do it. I don't exactly have a plan anymore, but I know I'm running plenty of weekly miles for a half marathon in early November. I'm still trying to figure out where everything else fits in—swimming, strength, yoga, bike (the latter two I've all but abandoned). 

I did reach a swimming goal that was a year in the making: I swam 111 miles from September 2015 to September 2016, coming in a week early, even. I'll give myself a back pat for that. Even though it was a long-term goal, it felt super nice to accomplish something athletically. I realized recently I haven't raced in one and a half years—enough time to start thinking, maybe I don't need to race to feel accomplished. That's partly true, but I also know I've come to both miss and fear racing. The hottest part of summer will soon start to to subside here in Tampa. Any day now. Very soon. We'll start to have some shorter-distance local races again, and I shall sign up for one. 

Comments

People Liked to Read...

Play of Summer

Even though it is still technically spring time, the summer college semester begins in one week, the weather is consistently sunny and mid-80s, and baseball season is in full bloom. I embrace this time of year as a time to extend my outside activities beyond my nightly walks, to bike rides, benefit runs, beach days, and a newfound interest in softball. Yesterday Joe and I began the day with a 7:25am 5K run to benefit the Child Abuse Council . One of Tampa's largest and most regular 5Ks, the Gunn Allen Financial May Classic brought out over 1,500 of Tampa's athletes and do-gooders. Since it was a last-minute decision for us to register, we did not have a a chance to train, but we had both been keeping a somewhat regular exercise schedule in the weeks leading up to the run. Our goal was to finish, preferably to finish running. And we did. 36 minutes of concrete pounding, rhythmic breathing, and humanistic awareness, and we had completed our first 5K together, having run th

Surgery Chronicles: 12 Weeks and Progress

I'm now more than 12 weeks recovered from my second (and final!) foot surgery, and life is starting to feel a little more normal. When I l ast wrote an update , seven weeks ago (still blaming Irma for all of my delays), I had just gotten off of crutches but would wear my boot for two more weeks. I've been out of the boot and walking in shoes for just over five weeks. The constant discomfort I've felt in my foot from swelling is finally starting to wane. I work in the office now, I do my own groceries, and I even attended a work conference recently, which meant lots of walking at airports and the conference hotel, frequent standing, and few opportunities to elevate and ice. I was very concerned about how my feet, particularly the left one, would endure. And while it wasn't comfortable, I made it through, no worse for the wear in the end. I joined a new gym/community center recently, with a new and beautiful outdoor pool, and I'm so happy that I'm able to use

Surgery Chronicles: First Steps

This past week I took my first steps in a real shoe with my new foot. As with any first steps, I felt it worthy of recording: I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but my surprise, it felt perfectly fine—no pain. There were a few tears, though. I got rather emotional after so many weeks of anticipation, of protecting and worrying about my foot and wondering if I'd be able to use it again, even though I knew rationally that I would. It's very different to experience the act than to imagine it. Now it was real. Of course, I'd been walking in a boot for a few weeks, but it's just not the same. The boot intentionally keeps your foot from flexing and bending, so it's being cradled and coddled, which means you get used to walking without really using your foot. So in my first attempts at walking, I still wasn't really using my foot because that's what I'd gotten used to. Once I started walking around more, I realized I also wasn't stepping evenly