Skip to main content

MCM14 Training, Week 10: Let It Rain

Avg Pace
Monday, 9/15Regular Run49:23
Tuesday, 9/16Regular Run79:37
Wednesday, 9/17Yoga0--
Thursday, 9/18Regular Run69:31
Friday, 9/19Rest0--
Saturday, 9/20Long Run12.459:56
Sunday, 9/21Rest0--

Total Weekly Mileage: 29.45

Last week was my cautious comeback to training. I cut back my weekly runs by a few miles overall, and I only had a twelve-mile long run on the schedule, which was very timely. Because this was my week off in between old job and new job, I was tempted, each morning, to sleep in and gave in to that temptation, each morning. So I ran in the evenings, which is doable at this time of year with the ever so slight shift toward cooler temperatures. 

I ran at the Upper Tampa Bay Trail on Monday, which I haven't run in probably a year. I enjoy this trail for shorter runs; it has several trailheads and is a little more than seven miles overall. Depending on where you start, it can feel like you're bouncing around from trailhead to trailhead, rather than running a loop or an out-and-back--and I prefer the latter two options for longer runs because I have fewer interruptions and can remain focused for more time. But the trail is enjoyable because it has lots of shading from trees, water provided at several locations, and restrooms at two trailheads. And there's also a bridge--an overpass that is steep enough for this Florida girl to feel as though she did some elevation training.  

My other two runs were on Bayshore, the default training ground. Then I ran once again with the Sharks for my long run Saturday. I felt pretty confident going into this run, as it was a shorter long run. But when I woke up early Saturday morning, I thought I heard rain. I asked Tim if it was raining (he's smarter than I am that early in the morning), and he in fact said that it was. We both thought for a second about going back to bed, but as we were already dressed, we decided to make the short drive over to see what the weather was like on Davis Islands. Often with these summertime rains, it will be raining in one neighborhood and not in another one nearby. But the rain was really just sprinkles, albeit annoying ones. And it was at our run spot, too. But seeing other runners out doing their warmup miles made us feel as though we had no excuse not to run. I actually don't mind running in light rain--it's getting started in it that's uncomfortable. And puddles. In the dark. I don't like those because my shoes get squishy and I can't do anything about it.

As usual, I ended up running at the back of the pack, solo (why does everyone always pass me?). Normally I prefer it that way, but there was something slightly eerie about running alone this time. Perhaps it was the added darkness from clouds that prevented the gradual lightening of the sky that I'd become accustomed to. Or maybe it was the smaller gathering of runners and knowing for certain that nobody was behind me. Nevertheless, I was getting my miles done with no serious pain. And right around the halfway point, after taking a water break, I started back running and noticed a few more rain drops here and there and thought they seemed a just little heavier than before. Before I knew it, I was full-on rain-running, puddles and all. My pace slowed, as there was wind, too, but I didn't really care. Granted, that's a tough way to finish a long run, but I'll take it over oppressive heat and swampy humidity, which is how I spent most of the summer training.

After successfully completing my run, I got to visit my family in Orlando for my sweetheart-niece's third birthday party. These trips always feel like the best reward after a long run.

Is she cute, or is she cute?

She insisted on pushing me on the swing, and I had to be very careful not to knock her over each time I swung back!

And now that the present week of training is coming to a close, I can report that I've had some very rough evening runs, but I've done the mileage. I'm not sure what this portends for Saturday's 18-miler, but my mindset now is to just get through it. Check back to see if I did ;)


People Liked to Read...

Surgery Chronicles: Hard Feelings

I'm one and a half weeks out from my second foot surgery, and, by all important measures, I'm doing well. But boy has the past week been difficult. In the first few days post-surgery I was in a pretty good mood; the surgery had gone well, I was in the excellent care of my mom, and I had made it past the last major hurdle of this months-long event. All I had to look forward to was recovery and progress and gradually returning to my normal life, whatever that might look like.

But even though I've gone through this process once already, it's still just as difficult this time around. There's the constant worrying about this weird feeling or that new pain, the accidental step in the middle of the night when I forgot which foot was injured, and the agonizing wait time between appointments. Now it's compounded by concern over whether I'm taking good enough care of my first foot. Did I ruin the surgery when I stubbed my toe falling off an exercise ball? Am I using …

Surgery Chronicles: I Exhale

I've really been holding my breath with this recovery, more so than the last one for some reason. After getting past the three-week point (which was two weeks ago, when I started to write this), I felt a little more at ease. Since then I've been changing my own dressing daily and slowly weaning off of crutches so I can now walk around in the boot—hands-free! I'm still a slave to icing and elevating as much as possible throughout the day. But the very best part? There's no other foot left to do. After this, I'm done, done, done. I can start to return to a life not defined by sitting and waiting and feeling confined and limited and trying my hardest to heal but having little actual control over any of it.

I wrote in my last post about the difficult emotions I'd been having throughout this second surgery recovery. I think I underestimated the psychological toll I would take doing one foot right after the other. And while there was a feeling of elation after gettin…

Surgery Chronicles: 12 Weeks and Progress

I'm now more than 12 weeks recovered from my second (and final!) foot surgery, and life is starting to feel a little more normal. When I last wrote an update, seven weeks ago (still blaming Irma for all of my delays), I had just gotten off of crutches but would wear my boot for two more weeks. I've been out of the boot and walking in shoes for just over five weeks. The constant discomfort I've felt in my foot from swelling is finally starting to wane. I work in the office now, I do my own groceries, and I even attended a work conference recently, which meant lots of walking at airports and the conference hotel, frequent standing, and few opportunities to elevate and ice. I was very concerned about how my feet, particularly the left one, would endure. And while it wasn't comfortable, I made it through, no worse for the wear in the end.

I joined a new gym/community center recently, with a new and beautiful outdoor pool, and I'm so happy that I'm able to use it n…