Skip to main content

2014 Year in Review

In line with last year's 2013 Year in Review, I wanted to do something similar for 2014, but with a separate new year "goals" post to follow. 

2014 began on a good note with a marathon PR at the Clearwater Marathon

A happy finish with my adorable niece running behind me!

and then quickly declined after injuring my foot.

I got to wear leggings like every day.

After taking six weeks off, I felt recovered enough to run an "easy" Iron Girl half-marathon in April

Just happy to have made it through uninjured!

and then moved through highs and lows as I began summer training for the Marine Corps Marathon and transitioned to a new job in September, after more than 12 years of working at USF.

My good-bye picture as I drove away on my last, sad day.

I trained through some still-lingering foot pain for 15 weeks, but in the end, I successfully completed the Marine Corps Marathon in October, exceeding my goal. 

Finishers!

Things got hectic right after the race. I went on my annual family trip to Ohio, which coincided with Halloween.

Very cold Floridians in front of our rented country house in Yellow Springs.

Me with "Dorothy," trick-or-treating in Yellow Springs.

Then birthdays and holiday events rolled in one after another, and through all that I went through more major changes in my personal life. At the very end of the year, though, I felt firmly on my feet and content with where I was in life, and that's saying a lot.


2014 Year Running Totals:

Not as good as last year, but I took a couple months off total due to injury.

Already, I've started the new year off right by running this morning, still trying to find my favorite way through my new neighborhood.

Though slightly, my pace is coming back down!

In addition to running, I hope to incorporate more of this:

I recently returned to boot camp after way too long of a hiatus!

as well as biking. I traded in both my cruiser and road bike for a more suitable (for me) hybrid. I bought one that I really loved


and then decided I wanted to upgrade to a slightly better version (on order)--just in case there are any triathlons in my future ;-)

I have no idea what 2015 will bring me, but if 2014 has taught me anything, it's that I know I'll be able to handle whatever comes my way. Late last year, I rediscovered a necklace that a USF friend had given in a prior year, and it couldn't have been more timely and relevant:

The inscription says, "All the strength you need is right there inside you."

Comments

Anonymous said…
Best wishes for a healthy, joyful 2015. See ya at boot camp!
Anonymous said…
Whoops! Anonymous = Melanie B.
Lee Davidson said…
Thanks, Melanie! Same to you. I definitely plan to see you out there :)
shirley said…
Thrilled you've found that "strength". Moving forward should be a little easier now. Happy New Year Sweet Girl.

People Liked to Read...

Surgery Chronicles: 12 Weeks and Progress

I'm now more than 12 weeks recovered from my second (and final!) foot surgery, and life is starting to feel a little more normal. When I l ast wrote an update , seven weeks ago (still blaming Irma for all of my delays), I had just gotten off of crutches but would wear my boot for two more weeks. I've been out of the boot and walking in shoes for just over five weeks. The constant discomfort I've felt in my foot from swelling is finally starting to wane. I work in the office now, I do my own groceries, and I even attended a work conference recently, which meant lots of walking at airports and the conference hotel, frequent standing, and few opportunities to elevate and ice. I was very concerned about how my feet, particularly the left one, would endure. And while it wasn't comfortable, I made it through, no worse for the wear in the end. I joined a new gym/community center recently, with a new and beautiful outdoor pool, and I'm so happy that I'm able to use

Play of Summer

Even though it is still technically spring time, the summer college semester begins in one week, the weather is consistently sunny and mid-80s, and baseball season is in full bloom. I embrace this time of year as a time to extend my outside activities beyond my nightly walks, to bike rides, benefit runs, beach days, and a newfound interest in softball. Yesterday Joe and I began the day with a 7:25am 5K run to benefit the Child Abuse Council . One of Tampa's largest and most regular 5Ks, the Gunn Allen Financial May Classic brought out over 1,500 of Tampa's athletes and do-gooders. Since it was a last-minute decision for us to register, we did not have a a chance to train, but we had both been keeping a somewhat regular exercise schedule in the weeks leading up to the run. Our goal was to finish, preferably to finish running. And we did. 36 minutes of concrete pounding, rhythmic breathing, and humanistic awareness, and we had completed our first 5K together, having run th

Surgery Chronicles: First Steps

This past week I took my first steps in a real shoe with my new foot. As with any first steps, I felt it worthy of recording: I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but my surprise, it felt perfectly fine—no pain. There were a few tears, though. I got rather emotional after so many weeks of anticipation, of protecting and worrying about my foot and wondering if I'd be able to use it again, even though I knew rationally that I would. It's very different to experience the act than to imagine it. Now it was real. Of course, I'd been walking in a boot for a few weeks, but it's just not the same. The boot intentionally keeps your foot from flexing and bending, so it's being cradled and coddled, which means you get used to walking without really using your foot. So in my first attempts at walking, I still wasn't really using my foot because that's what I'd gotten used to. Once I started walking around more, I realized I also wasn't stepping evenly