Skip to main content

Tonsillectomy, Soft Foods, and Getting Back into It

The past two weeks have been challenging for me. Two Fridays ago I had a tonsillectomy, which I did because I started developing tonsil stones over the past year or so, which coincided with this mysterious pain I'd been having. I got a couple of opinions from recommended ENTs, and they both said a tonsillectomy was the next logical step. While I wasn't eager to undergo a significant surgery--one that is particularly difficult on an adult--I needed to find the cause behind my pain so I could refocus on my life without being constantly sidetracked by the pain.

The actual surgery went every well, and even my healing process was as good as it could have been. But it was a true two weeks before I felt close to normal again, and during the first week in particular, The first two days were actually easier than the rest of the first week; I had my mom with me, and other family came to visit the day after, and we even went out to eat at an Ethiopian restaurant, which serves (delicious) soft foods. But after everyone left, I had a hard time sitting around home by myself in pain, fully reliant on the narcotics prescribed for my pain. Plus, I was determined to work. I'm still new at my job, and I was lucky enough to get this time off for surgery; I wanted to prove that I was dedicated to doing my job if I could at all. So I worked a few partial days from home, which I needed to feel a sense of purpose while I was just lying around the house rest of the time.

During this time, eating was a challenge. I was prescribed to eat only soft foods for two weeks, and even that seemed unmanageable. Simply drinking water hurt. Actually, just swallowing was the most painful part of recovery. But I did make a couple of new foods to try to entice myself to eat. One was mashed cauliflower:

I'm crazy about this dish now and will likely make a lot in the future.

Another was carrot ginger soup:

Not as good as my mom's, but still delicious--and with healing ginger!

And then for something soothing and healing to drink, I made a warm rice milk with honey, cinnamon, and turmeric:

The honey, cinnamon, and turmeric all have healing properties.

They all turned out delicious and added a bit of joy to my recovery days.

The other annoying thing I had to deal with during my recovery was a prescribed two-week hiatus from running or other vigorous activity. I expected one week, but not two. So my whole regular routine--something that keeps me feeling sane--was off for two weeks, and now that I am cleared to run again, I haven't done it yet. I intended to wake up early this morning, or even late, and run, but it didn't happen. I may yet get a run in later this afternoon. We'll see. I'll have to really dedicate myself to getting back into a training regimen. And I have the Gasparilla half marathon coming up, so hopefully that will be my main motivator!

This is actually a deferment from last year, but still, I'm registered!


Comments

People Liked to Read...

Play of Summer

Even though it is still technically spring time, the summer college semester begins in one week, the weather is consistently sunny and mid-80s, and baseball season is in full bloom. I embrace this time of year as a time to extend my outside activities beyond my nightly walks, to bike rides, benefit runs, beach days, and a newfound interest in softball. Yesterday Joe and I began the day with a 7:25am 5K run to benefit the Child Abuse Council . One of Tampa's largest and most regular 5Ks, the Gunn Allen Financial May Classic brought out over 1,500 of Tampa's athletes and do-gooders. Since it was a last-minute decision for us to register, we did not have a a chance to train, but we had both been keeping a somewhat regular exercise schedule in the weeks leading up to the run. Our goal was to finish, preferably to finish running. And we did. 36 minutes of concrete pounding, rhythmic breathing, and humanistic awareness, and we had completed our first 5K together, having run th

Surgery Chronicles: 12 Weeks and Progress

I'm now more than 12 weeks recovered from my second (and final!) foot surgery, and life is starting to feel a little more normal. When I l ast wrote an update , seven weeks ago (still blaming Irma for all of my delays), I had just gotten off of crutches but would wear my boot for two more weeks. I've been out of the boot and walking in shoes for just over five weeks. The constant discomfort I've felt in my foot from swelling is finally starting to wane. I work in the office now, I do my own groceries, and I even attended a work conference recently, which meant lots of walking at airports and the conference hotel, frequent standing, and few opportunities to elevate and ice. I was very concerned about how my feet, particularly the left one, would endure. And while it wasn't comfortable, I made it through, no worse for the wear in the end. I joined a new gym/community center recently, with a new and beautiful outdoor pool, and I'm so happy that I'm able to use

Surgery Chronicles: First Steps

This past week I took my first steps in a real shoe with my new foot. As with any first steps, I felt it worthy of recording: I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but my surprise, it felt perfectly fine—no pain. There were a few tears, though. I got rather emotional after so many weeks of anticipation, of protecting and worrying about my foot and wondering if I'd be able to use it again, even though I knew rationally that I would. It's very different to experience the act than to imagine it. Now it was real. Of course, I'd been walking in a boot for a few weeks, but it's just not the same. The boot intentionally keeps your foot from flexing and bending, so it's being cradled and coddled, which means you get used to walking without really using your foot. So in my first attempts at walking, I still wasn't really using my foot because that's what I'd gotten used to. Once I started walking around more, I realized I also wasn't stepping evenly