Skip to main content

A Not-So-Good "Cheese" Trial

All of the meals I've been cooking for the past couple of months have so far turned out great. (Mind you, these are not complicated meals, but I'm an amateur in the kitchen, so I take pride where I can find it.) I had high hopes for last night's meal, green lentils mixed with brown rice and baked slices of yellow squash topped with vegan mozzarella cheese. You can probably tell where this is going.

I'm not and never have been a huge cheese fan, but because I tend to do a lot of straightforward beans, grains, and veggies, I thought I'd add a little something new this time. I've tried a variety of brands of vegetarian cheese, but many of the good-tasting brands have casein in them, which is a derivative of milk protein (which makes me wonder why they make a vegetarian cheese in the first place, when dairy cheese is already vegetarian), and which allows these alternative cheeses to taste so cheese-like. So when I started looking for vegan cheeses (that also do not contain soy or gluten), I found the selections were very limited. The most popular one I know of is Daiya. I've tried it before, and it's really not bad. It's not very cheese-like in taste resemblance (IMHO), but it has a good texture and flavor nonetheless. But it's also pricey, like close to $6 for a 32oz. bag. So I found this other, newer brand the other day made by Follow Your Heart:


It was a little less expensive, so I picked it up. I tasted a few shreds by themselves after I got home, and they were a little "eh," but I thought it might be better once cooked.

Have I also mentioned that I don't like melted cheese? But again, I thought I could get over my dislike if it weren't real cheese, and I thought the bf might like it, too (because I'm the main "cook" in our household, he is subjected to all of my dietary preferences, none of which he would normally keep as part of his own diet). But neither of those things proved true.


Although it looked delicious once plated, the first bite offended my tongue so much that I couldn't eat anymore of it. I told Tim not to eat anymore, as if it were poisoned, and then I quickly boiled some snap peas that I'd just happened to pick up earlier that evening, then seasoned them with a bit of olive oil, salt, and pepper, and they were perfection.

I suspect there were more elements to the gourde gross-out: (1) I had pre-seasoned squash slices and baking pan with olive oil and spices, forgetting that I was later going to add cheese, which added to the overly slimy texture; (2) I'm not sure the squash was quite right--the rind (or whatever) was starting to darken and turn hard--even though I'd just bought it a few days prior.

On the bright side, the rice and lentils turned out wonderfully. And I even had leftovers for lunch today. I think that was my first time cooking lentils. I had always dreaded it, because I thought I needed to soak them beforehand, but then I read that lentils don't require pre-soaking like beans do. They took about 30 minutes to cook on medium/high heat.

It may be a while before I try to cook with non-cheese again. But at least I got over my fear of cooking lentils!

Comments

People Liked to Read...

Play of Summer

Even though it is still technically spring time, the summer college semester begins in one week, the weather is consistently sunny and mid-80s, and baseball season is in full bloom. I embrace this time of year as a time to extend my outside activities beyond my nightly walks, to bike rides, benefit runs, beach days, and a newfound interest in softball. Yesterday Joe and I began the day with a 7:25am 5K run to benefit the Child Abuse Council . One of Tampa's largest and most regular 5Ks, the Gunn Allen Financial May Classic brought out over 1,500 of Tampa's athletes and do-gooders. Since it was a last-minute decision for us to register, we did not have a a chance to train, but we had both been keeping a somewhat regular exercise schedule in the weeks leading up to the run. Our goal was to finish, preferably to finish running. And we did. 36 minutes of concrete pounding, rhythmic breathing, and humanistic awareness, and we had completed our first 5K together, having run th

Surgery Chronicles: 12 Weeks and Progress

I'm now more than 12 weeks recovered from my second (and final!) foot surgery, and life is starting to feel a little more normal. When I l ast wrote an update , seven weeks ago (still blaming Irma for all of my delays), I had just gotten off of crutches but would wear my boot for two more weeks. I've been out of the boot and walking in shoes for just over five weeks. The constant discomfort I've felt in my foot from swelling is finally starting to wane. I work in the office now, I do my own groceries, and I even attended a work conference recently, which meant lots of walking at airports and the conference hotel, frequent standing, and few opportunities to elevate and ice. I was very concerned about how my feet, particularly the left one, would endure. And while it wasn't comfortable, I made it through, no worse for the wear in the end. I joined a new gym/community center recently, with a new and beautiful outdoor pool, and I'm so happy that I'm able to use

Surgery Chronicles: First Steps

This past week I took my first steps in a real shoe with my new foot. As with any first steps, I felt it worthy of recording: I wasn't quite sure what to expect, but my surprise, it felt perfectly fine—no pain. There were a few tears, though. I got rather emotional after so many weeks of anticipation, of protecting and worrying about my foot and wondering if I'd be able to use it again, even though I knew rationally that I would. It's very different to experience the act than to imagine it. Now it was real. Of course, I'd been walking in a boot for a few weeks, but it's just not the same. The boot intentionally keeps your foot from flexing and bending, so it's being cradled and coddled, which means you get used to walking without really using your foot. So in my first attempts at walking, I still wasn't really using my foot because that's what I'd gotten used to. Once I started walking around more, I realized I also wasn't stepping evenly