Skip to main content

First 20-Miler...and Burnout

This past weekend I ran my first 20-miler of Steamtown training. It was planned (unlike last year's), nothing went awry, and I finished it, actually faster than I'd hoped.

I ran four early miles on Bayshore prior to meeting with running buddy Nicole--who was running 16--and about 50 others who were running with the Blue Sharks group on Davis Island. Those first four miles were the worst. The air was humid and heavy, and I felt as though I was just dragging myself through the miles. I got back to DI just before 5:30 a.m., when the group run was scheduled to start. People socialized for a bit, and then Nicole and I decided to start. Shortly thereafter, many of the other runners passed us by, which was a sort of frustrating feeling, like at a race, but we kept steady at just under a 10-minute pace. We had a lot of distance yet to go.

The mileage through the residential section of DI--about four or five miles--still felt difficult, but once we got out of it and the sun began to show, some of the humidity was burned off and there seemed to be a pleasant breeze. This helped us through the first DI loop, which is about 9.5 miles. But we had to go back through the loop and cut it off short for another 6.5 miles. Those miles were pretty unremarkable, in a good way. We chatted a little less (Nicole usually puts on headphones halfway through, and I have less energy to talk, anyway), but we steadily trotted along. We'd brought our average pace down to about 9:46 and stayed there for most of the remaining miles (of course, this factors in my slower initial miles).

(I can't help but notice how hairy my arms are in these closeups of my watch.)

All things considered, it was a good run. I couldn't walk very well afterward, but that's to be expected (right?). Nicole did a great job with her 16, and I'm contemplating doing another 20 when she does hers in less than two weeks. We'll see.

I attempted another ice bath when I got home, but the ice melted so darn quickly that the water never got very icy. Next time I need to make sure to only fill the tub enough to cover my legs.

I had a very important engagement to go to not to long after getting back from my run: my twin sister's second baby shower! So I had little time to rest before meeting up with family and friends for a ladies' tea.

Sisters! I'll let you decide which one is my twin.

After tea, my mom and aunts came over to see my new place and visit for a while. The company was wonderful, and I was glad they got to see where I live; they all live two to three hours away, so there may not be another opportunity for a while. Soon they left to go to dinner, and Tim left to go to a beer fest where some other friends were already partaking in festivities. I truly enjoyed all of the family time, but I was ready to be alone and rest. And rest I did for hours straight!

I slept in through Crossboot the next morning. And I was okay with that--I needed the rest, and I had a head full of allergies, perhaps from eating dinner outside at Mad Dogs and English Men the night before. It's a wonderful place, but I think I'm allergic to the trees we dined under. And anyway, I ended up having a full day of furniture shopping and--because it was Ikea furniture--assembly. I got a workout just trying to steer the wayward cart full of disassembled dressers through hoards of space-unaware shoppers. And after hours of looking at picture instructions, screw-driving, and hammering, the day was practically over. Here are the results:

Tim installed this track light all by himself (with moral support from me).  Now we have light over the dining table that we never eat at.

This piece, which is near the front door, hides our sweaty running gear (water bottles, watch, arm band, headbands, earphones, etc.) and also our shoes.

This dresser was necessary, I realized, to store all of my running/workout clothes. Kind of sad.

I woke up early Monday to run six miles. I did it, but it wasn't pretty. I gave myself some leeway, though, because I was still coming off of that big run. So I let it be slow. But then, when I headed out for 10 miles this morning, I just felt like I had nothing in me. I got as far as 2.5 miles, stopped, turned around, and walked back. Couldn't even jog back. It wasn't a feeling of heavy legs or sore muscles--it was pure fatigue. My body just felt lifeless, like a rag doll. I guess it was bound to happen at some point. It's happened before. So I'm trying not to be too hard on myself. Hopefully after resting today and maybe going easy on my next run, I'll feel a little more energetic. I'm only planning to do about 12-14 miles this weekend, and from past experience, I know those won't be easy miles. But they will get done. I will prevail!


B.o.B. said…
Nice 20! It was extra humid this weekend. Yuck. I love the shoe/water bottle/watch hutch thingy. Very cute!
Lee Davidson said…
Yes, the humidity was the worst! And I was obsessing over this storage piece for running stuff for weeks. I told Tim, "It's gonna change our lives."

People Liked to Read...

Surgery Chronicles: Start Here

I alluded in my last post to upcoming foot surgeries I'd soon be posting about. I'm now 19 days away from the first one, and my thoughts pretty constantly revolve around how my life will change after that when I wake up from my "twilight" sleep after the first operation. In my best frame of mind, the scenario is like this: I'll spend a few weeks out of commission, getting some forced rest, spend a few weeks in a boot, limited exercise, and my right foot will be recovered. Then I repeat on the left foot and by fall I'm back on my feet again. That's the Twitter version. But the version that most often plays out in my head is more like a volume of books, with the details of every day painstakingly planned, agonized over, and wondered about. How will I make food? Bathe? Focus on work? Get the mail, take out the trash, do laundry? Will I be in a lot of pain? Will I go crazy during my long days isolated at home? Will people forget about me? Will I get the resul…

Surgery Chronicles: Two Weeks Down

At the end of week two, I'm home on my own and feeling pretty good. But it definitely feels like time has moved slowly. Hopefully the coming weeks will go by a little faster, now that I'm set up for a routine and able to do more for myself.
First Follow-up I had my first follow-up appointment last week, which I'd been looking forward to pretty much since the day after surgery. Possibly because I was anticipating it so much, it felt like it would never come. But it did, and it went very well. I got my bulky dressing and "upper foot" cast off, and I finally saw my new foot! Of course, it wasn't beautiful; it was still tinted orange from the betadine used in surgery prep, it was swollen and a little bruised, and my incision was still healing and had strips of medical tape running along it (I'll save a barefoot photo for a later post). But my bunion was gone and my toe was aligned! That was the goal, and it was achieved.

The doctor said it only looked like I …

2017 and Beyond

If this sounds like a very late new year resolutions post, that's because it is. I never quite finished expounding on my goals for the year, but I wrote 10 things down, so I figure it's worth posting. Plus, I'm going to have lots of cause to post more in the coming months, as I (plan to) chronicle my upcoming foot surgeries, so I may as well resurrect the blog now.
I started out last year's resolutions post saying, "This past year was one of the most challenging years of my life." But 2016 has proven to be a hearty rival. The year was heavily mixed with positive and negative events, emotions all over the place. The good: I ran again, I swam, I came back to yoga, I wrote a lot (just not here), I blossomed at work, I loved my family hard. The bad: I injured myself again and couldn't run, I gave up on biking (but later picked it back up), I floundered trying to find purpose, I distanced myself from friends, and I nearly drowned in my anxiety. But I tried, in…