Skip to main content

Morning Runs: A Pros/Cons List

It's that time of year when the weather is so oppressive that even waiting until after 7:00pm offers little relief from the heat and humidity. So I have switched my weekday runs mostly to mornings. This week, I have completed an astonishing three runs all before 8:00am (I know, that's not terribly early, but I don't have to be to work until 9:00am). I did two six-milers and a nine-miler. Here are the pros and cons, as I see them, of running in the morning versus the evening:

Pros
  1. My workout is out of the way for the day.
  2. I'm more energized going into work.
  3. My evening is free. I can do household chores that often get neglected, cook dinner, go to yoga--the options are endless!
  4. I get some solo running time.
  5. I get to see the sunrise. 
Cons
  1. It's more challenging to get started.
  2. I'm likely to eat more throughout the day at work (more than necessary).
  3. I'm too tired in the evening to do productive things.
  4. I (sometimes) miss running with friends in group runs.
  5. It can still get hot quickly, and the humidity is pretty much full-on 24/7 this time of year.
Obviously the list of pros outweighs the list of cons for me, or I wouldn't be making the change; but I do hope to spend my evenings doing more productive things. I'm just excited to have the free time right now. 

I've also added a protein mix into my diet for those days with morning runs, as my weekly mileage is creeping up and only getting higher in the coming weeks. I'm using the Garden of Life RAW Protein mix, which is vegan, dairy-free, gluten-free, and soy-free. What's left, you ask? Grain, bean, legume, and seed protein. It doesn't offer as much protein as the whey and soy formulas, but that's okay with me. It's still 17g per serving that I wasn't previously getting. I have the chocolate flavor, and I won't go as far as to say it's delicious, but it's not bad, for a protein mix. It's also very low in sugar--less than 1g per serving--so it's unsurprising that the flavor isn't great. Ideally, I would make this into a smoothie with a banana, some raw honey, and almond milk. But I'm too lazy to get out the blender and then deal with the mess in my limited morning time, so I just add a little bit of almond milk and some water, stir it up, and call it a protein drink.

I'm off to Ohio this afternoon to visit family and friends. I'm hoping to get in an 18-miler while I'm there. The lows are currently in the 60s up there, so I'm very excited about running in the cooler temps!

Comments

People Liked to Read...

Surgery Chronicles: Start Here

I alluded in my last post to upcoming foot surgeries I'd soon be posting about. I'm now 19 days away from the first one, and my thoughts pretty constantly revolve around how my life will change after that when I wake up from my "twilight" sleep after the first operation. In my best frame of mind, the scenario is like this: I'll spend a few weeks out of commission, getting some forced rest, spend a few weeks in a boot, limited exercise, and my right foot will be recovered. Then I repeat on the left foot and by fall I'm back on my feet again. That's the Twitter version. But the version that most often plays out in my head is more like a volume of books, with the details of every day painstakingly planned, agonized over, and wondered about. How will I make food? Bathe? Focus on work? Get the mail, take out the trash, do laundry? Will I be in a lot of pain? Will I go crazy during my long days isolated at home? Will people forget about me? Will I get the resul…

Surgery Chronicles: Two Weeks Down

At the end of week two, I'm home on my own and feeling pretty good. But it definitely feels like time has moved slowly. Hopefully the coming weeks will go by a little faster, now that I'm set up for a routine and able to do more for myself.
First Follow-up I had my first follow-up appointment last week, which I'd been looking forward to pretty much since the day after surgery. Possibly because I was anticipating it so much, it felt like it would never come. But it did, and it went very well. I got my bulky dressing and "upper foot" cast off, and I finally saw my new foot! Of course, it wasn't beautiful; it was still tinted orange from the betadine used in surgery prep, it was swollen and a little bruised, and my incision was still healing and had strips of medical tape running along it (I'll save a barefoot photo for a later post). But my bunion was gone and my toe was aligned! That was the goal, and it was achieved.

The doctor said it only looked like I …

2017 and Beyond

If this sounds like a very late new year resolutions post, that's because it is. I never quite finished expounding on my goals for the year, but I wrote 10 things down, so I figure it's worth posting. Plus, I'm going to have lots of cause to post more in the coming months, as I (plan to) chronicle my upcoming foot surgeries, so I may as well resurrect the blog now.I started out last year's resolutions post saying, "This past year was one of the most challenging years of my life." But 2016 has proven to be a hearty rival. The year was heavily mixed with positive and negative events, emotions all over the place. The good: I ran again, I swam, I came back to yoga, I wrote a lot (just not here), I blossomed at work, I loved my family hard. The bad: I injured myself again and couldn't run, I gave up on biking (but later picked it back up), I floundered trying to find purpose, I distanced myself from friends, and I nearly drowned in my anxiety. But I tried, in …